- Expertly Crafted
- Peace of Mind
Anton Manganaro, Head Chef of BAFTA 195, reveals his favourite gourmet hangouts in the capital city
Celebrity chef Anton Manganaro takes us a on a whirlwind tour of his home town. The man who provides London’s glitterati with a showstopping meal each year at the BAFTAs says where you can find the best ingredients, the finest restaurants and foodie inspiration in the bustling metropolis.
Go for a bike ride along the Thames and stop off at Brentford Market to pick up lunch. Or head to Borough Market where you can sample bread by Justin Gellatly at Bread Ahead before checking out the artisanal stalls at the Maltby Street Market. Then take a trip to Harrods’ food hall. When I was a private chef working in South Kensington this was my go-to place for emergencies as they sell everything – it’s a treat for all your senses.
Turnham Green Terrace. Get great meat and poultry from Macken Brothers, fish from Covent Garden Fishmongers and vegetables from Natoora. You should also visit Paxton and Whitfield on Jermyn Street. To be surrounded by their cheese and produce is a little slice of heaven on earth.
Fosters’ Bookshop second-hand book shop on Chiswick High Street. You’ll find me there at some stage during the week, scouring the shelves for vintage cookbooks.
The City Barge in Chiswick for a lovely Sunday roast with a view of the Thames; Counter Culture in Clapham, which is a great snack-bar that showcases what amazing things can be done is the smallest of spaces and Jason Atherton’s restaurant Berners Tavern in the West End. It is an amazing room with fabulous art, delicious food and cocktails.
Evans and Peel in Earls Court. It’s a 1930’s-style prohibition speakeasy that’s hidden from the street behind a detective agency and has really good cocktails and an amazing atmosphere. My wife had no idea where she was going for our wedding anniversary and I had to make up a story to be allowed in. Really fun to dress up too to really add to the spirit of the evening!
The classic would always for me a selection of tea from Fortnum & Mason in Piccadilly.
From $12,080 pp
- Hiking in Taroko National Park
- Taking a dip in Taiwan’s famed hot springs
- Experiencing a handful of Taiwan’s iconic night markets – you will not go hungry on this trip!
- Spending a few days in the capital Taipei getting a sense of the island’s unique history
When to go:
From $4,490 pp
Journey Through History in Berlin
- Learn about the stories of Berlin during different periods
- Admire one of the most beautiful palaces is the world – Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam
- Walk the footsteps of Hitler and examine the rise of the Third Reich
- Visit the Memorial & Museum Sachsenhausen – a former concentration camp
- Travel back to the Cold War era and experience living behind the Iron Curtain
When to go:
From $8,510 pp
Ireland Highlight Tour
- Visit the highlights and pubs in Dublin
- Admire Powerscourt – one of the finest gardens in Europe
- Learn about the crystal producing in Waterford
- Driving through Ireland’s best scenery – Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Cliff of Moher
When to go: