Laikipia Plateau, Kenya
Situated at the heart of the Laikipia Plateau, with majestic Mount Kenya providing a stunning backdrop, Segera is an opulent wildlife retreat devoted to conservation. Set within a 50,000-acre private reserve filled with woodlands, grasslands and fertile riverbeds, this luxurious eco-lodge is home to an abundance of animal, bird and plant life.
Accommodation is in the form of six elegant timber and thatch villas, including the newest addition to the retreat – Nay Palad Bird Nest. Built alongside a river teeming with wildlife, the Nay Palad Bird Nest offers a unique concept of nesting and sleeping like a bird – set above the ground, with a 360 degree birds-eye-view of this beautiful wilderness.
The other five villas are built on stilts and furnished in modern colonial style. Set within a delightful botanical garden and overlooking the unspoiled African savannah, each villa offers maximum privacy and features a deck with swinging beds and a stone hot tub. Villa Segera is a romantic bolthole for two, while the magnificent Segera House is ideal for families.
The cuisine at Segera is a highlight. Mouth-watering dishes prepared using ingredients fresh from the property’s own gardens and from neighbouring farms are accompanied by a superb selection of fine wines. Enjoy al fresco dining by the communal pool, in the iconic Wine Tower or in a variety of other magical locations.
You can choose to do as much or as little as you wish. Segera offers a range of tailor-made experiences designed to inspire guests. Head out or day and night game drives; enjoy nature walks or visit nearby villages for an insight into local life. You can also get involved in conservation projects such as helping plant indigenous trees or ride with conservation rangers as they observe the wildlife. Sleep outs can also be arranged.
Segera is the ideal place to relax, unwind and soak up the serene surroundings. Be pampered with a treatment in the spa where you’ll find a Rasul Steam Tower; cool off in the saltwater swimming pool; or take a tour of the impressive collection of African contemporary art – the largest private collection in Africa. There is also a gym.
Families are welcomed and the lodge offers bespoke activities for both parents and kids to ensure everyone has an adventure of a lifetime.
Segera Retreat Information
- Location: 1 hour private charter from Nairobi to Segera or a 35 minute flight from Nairobi to Nanyuki Airstrip followed by a 2 hour transfer to Segera
- Accommodation: 8 villas
- Activities: Personalized safari’s, Day and Night game drives, Picnics and Sundowners, Hides and Lookout points, Guided walks, Camel walks, Botanical garden, Sleep outs
- Facilities: Spa and Wellness center, Swimming pool, Yoga and Meditation center, and each room has a private sun deck in the garden, swing bed and a Jacuzzi bath.
- Weather: January, February and July to September
- Children: Welcome
- Price Guide: From USD 1250 (Jan – Jun) per person per night : Villa / Family Villa
From USD 1800 (Jan – Jun) per person per night: Villa Segera