Villas Sungai and Sungai Gold are two side-by-side villas tucked up on a hillside on the island’s southwest coast, just north of Canggu. Driving along rice paddies and through quieter villages to get to the villas, one really feels like they’re leaving the hustle and bustle of Seminyak and the more touristy sections of Bali behind. The communal living spaces at Villas Sungai and Sungai Gold are completely open and breezy, and the colours used are light and very natural, blending in seamlessly with the villas’ surroundings. Book the three-suite flagship Villa Sungai or its smaller sister the two-suite, couple-friendly Sungai Gold, or take over both (Platinum) for the ultimate escape.
Villa Sungai has 3 king poolside suites each with ensuite bathrooms that feature outdoor shower facilities. The four-poster beds are extremely comfortable, and the rooms themselves are large and airy. An 18-metre long infinity pool runs the length of the villa, and looks out over a river and jungle. Alongside the pool, the living space is made up of a sitting area with sofas and day bed, and then a huge dining table. There are sun loungers at either end of the pool as well as a separate dining area at the far end of the villa that is often used for breakfast. There is also a small spa room with two massage beds, but in-room and poolside treatments can also be arranged.
Sungai Gold is ideal for honeymooners or single families with 2 king poolside suites each with ensuite bathrooms and the same outdoor shower facilities. If booked for a couple, the second bedroom is converted into a spa room with 2 massage beds. If booked for a family, the second bedroom can be set up to feature 2 twin beds. The communal living areas are open and include a dining area as well as a leisure pavilion with a large pool-edge day bed. The pool is large with a shallow area that is better for children, and as with Villa Sungai, a water slide can be added for families. The totally private and expansive outlook is identical to that of Sungai next door.
The staff at Villa Sungai and Sungai Gold are what truly set these villas apart from the rest. Incredibly sweet and efficient, they are always on hand with bottles of cold water, cold towels or bowls of their delicious handmade crisps. The in-house chefs are very talented and able to whip up both local and western fare. We particularly loved the Tom Kha Gai – chicken and coconut soup – served at lunch, as well as the char-grilled palm sugar chicken at dinner. Not to mention the chocolate cake that was made for a birthday that was out of this world! The little touches the staff do to make guest’s stays more enjoyable are what leave the most lasting impression – soap dishes so you can take the private label, natural soap back in, little branded bags for wet clothes and even a parting gift of a sitting Buddha made of stone.
Villa Sungai & Sungai Gold Information
- Location:North of Canggu in south western Bali. 50-minute drive from Denpasar International Airport.
- Accommodation:Villa Sungai – 3 ensuite bedrooms, Sungai Gold – 2 ensuite bedrooms
- Activities:Swimming, cultural tours around the island, beach visits, in-villa spa treatments
- Facilities:Main pool, 2-bed spa room, DVD and book collection, 5-minute drive to beach
- Weather:Tropical climate all year-round, best to visit between the months of May to October, with monsoon rains between November to April.
- Services:Full time manager, chefs, car and driver, dining/bar and room staff.
- Children:Welcome, with children’s amenities, food and drink menus, pool toys and out-of-villa activities that can be organised on request. Babysitters also available on request.