Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand
Nestled in bushland in Franz Josef on the west coast of New Zealand’s South Island, Te Waonui Forest Retreat is the ultimate forest hideaway. Innovative and sophisticated, this luxury boutique lodge offers attentive service, top-notch cuisine and superb facilities including a restaurant, a bar and a spa.
This exclusive, wilderness eco-retreat has been designed to an exceptionally high standard and will appeal to discerning travellers seeking a unique and unforgettable experience in a spectacular setting.
Te Waonui provides 100 luxurious rooms located in four separate wings linked by walkways. Each room has been designed to maximise comfort while preserving the environment, and features a super-king or two queen beds, state-of-the-art technology and a private balcony or courtyard.
Enjoy superb local cuisine served in a delightful al fresco setting among the trees at The Canopy. The sumptuous, five-course degustation dinner is a must.
The lodge is within easy reach of many natural wonders and there are endless adventures to be had. Take a helicopter to Franz Josef or Fox Glaciers; experience the thrill of eco-rafting on the Whataroa River; or go walking or horse riding. Adventure seekers can go heli-hiking, skydiving or ice climbing.
Back at Te Waonui, relax in front of the fire at the Frond Lounge Bar or indulge in a massage in the spa.
Te Waonui Forest Retreat Information
- Location: 8 hours drive from Auckland International Airport
- Accommodation: 100 Rooms and Suites
- Facilities: Restaurant, bar, business facilities, spa
- Activities: Helicopter rides, Heli Hike, Air Safari, Eco rafting, Horse riding, Quad biking, Lake tours, Kayaking, Guided walks
- Weather: Summer is between November and early February. Winter is from June through to August.
- Children: Welcome
- Price Guide: From USD 650 for 1 night in a Deluxe Room, for two pax