Weligama, Sri Lanka
Pointe Sud in a word? VIEWS. There are few other properties in Sri Lanka blessed with such sensational oceanfront panoramas, such privacy and such exclusivity.
The five bedroom villa is perched high on a hillside between Mirissa and Matara, set within a couple of acres of tropical gardens made up of neatly manicured lawns, blooming borders and untamed jungle that winds down a staircase to the deserted beach below. Below the bright white sun-drenched pool terrace, a flight of steps leads down to a lower lawn topped with another pavilion that makes the perfect spot for daytime BBQs. Within the gorgeous garden itself, there’s a sunset pavilion flushed with cushioned loungers for soaking up the magical end of day light show and even an eastern lookout if dawn is more your thing.
The interior of the house is every bit as captivating. A drawing room with soaring pagoda-style roof edged in warm timber is designed for breezy living and dining, and leads onto a front sea-view veranda that descends via a bright white theatrical stairway into the garden below. Each bedroom at Pointe Sud comes with air conditioning, views of the garden or ocean and modern ensuite bathrooms with hot water showers. Four bedrooms – three doubles and a twin – lead off from the drawing room whilst a fifth double bedroom is accessed directly from the garden, below the house. The house is fully staffed, has a TV Room and an equipped kitchen.
Wrapped in pastel pinks, the house’s striking design commands its exclusive setting and although Palladian in essence, it is in fact an architectural folly since it follows no recognisable rules and is completely unique. The original owners incorporated 100 year-old teak floorboards, antique timber frames and terracotta tiles into the build so the result is a blissful blend of a number of styles from Sri Lanka’s most influential periods of history.
Pointe Sud Information
- Location: Mirissa, 4h30min drive to airport, 3h45min drive to Colombo, 40 mins to Galle
- Accomodation: 5 rooms (Sleeps 10)
- Staff: Chef (full-time), babysitter, housekeeping (daily), masseuse, service staff, shopper
- Facilities: 50 foot infinity pool, table tennis, CD library, DVD library, board games, laundry service (in-house), iPod dock/speakers, bicycles, BBQ, wifi
- Activities: Diving, snorkeling, surfing, body surfing, sailing, deep sea fishing, private sea plane excursions, boat trip in Matara to see crocodiles
- Children: Welcome