Galle Fort, Sri Lanka
Nestled within the ramparts of the 17th-century Galle Fort, Amangalla is an extraordinary sanctuary from which to explore the fascinating culture and tumultuous history of this intriguing Sri Lanka UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Named after the Sanskrit word for ‘peace’, and the Sinhalese word for ‘Galle’, the Amangalla inventively reveals the rich legacy of its surroundings. The 21 bedrooms, chambers and suites are decorated in tasteful colonial style with four-poster beds, polished Burmese teak floorboards and free standing bathtubs. The rooms offer a variety of views from Galle Fort itself to the immaculate garden. For those wanting the ultimate in luxury, there is also the magnificent Garden House, a two-storey house featuring a private terrace and balcony with leafy treetop views as well as a pantry serviced by a private butler.
There is a large swimming pool at the centre of the hotel, offering a cool respite from exploring the Fort and surrounding areas. In keeping with the ambience of the hotel, the spa is known as ‘The Baths’. Recapture memories of a bygone era of ‘taking the waters’ and restoring the body whilst being pampered in one of the five treatment chambers leading off an arched hallway. Hydrotherapy pools, ayurveda treatments, a yoga and meditation pavilion, barber shop and a hair salon all compliment this experience.
The most enjoyable activity on the doorstep of Amangalla is to experience the Fort on foot. A leisurely walk will take you past the old Dutch Church, the Governor’s house, the spice warehouses, the town hall and onto the Lighthouse and the sea wall and ramparts. There is nowhere better to be at sunset than walking along the ramparts of the Fort, watching the last ball of a cricket match, children flying kites and the general townsfolk gathering together.
Lightfoot Travel loves…
“Sipping on a cold gin and tonic on Amangalla’s front veranda, transporting yourself back in time as you observe the hustle and bustle of daily life within the Fort.”
- Location: Inside Galle Fort. 3 hours drive from the International Airport
- Accommodation: 29 rooms, including 8 suites and 1 private Garden House with butler
- Activities:Shopping and restaurants in Fort, beaches near Galle, complimentary afternoon tea with home-made scones
- Facilites: Pool, spa, library, restaurant, gym, yoga
- Weather: Avoid May to July monsoon
- Children: Children are welcome – extra beds are available and babysitters are complimentary. The Library has a large selection of games, books and toys for children of all ages