This luxury boutique hotel lies on a rocky headline offering awe-inspiring views of Formosa Bay, the Outeniqua Mountains and endless golden sand beaches. The Plettenberg is located in the heart of Plettenberg Bay, South Africa’s premier beach destination, known as the ‘Jewel of the Garden Route’. Cape Town International Airport is 509 km away and Port Elizabeth Airport is 236 km away.
This charming hotel is supremely elegant and has an air of exclusivity. Facilities include a restaurant, a bar, a spa and two outdoor pools. Offering unrivalled service and warm hospitality, this exclusive retreat will appeal to discerning couples and families seeking a unique and unforgettable escape in a spectacular setting.
The Plettenberg provides 37 individually decorated and elegant rooms and suites featuring stylish décor, king-size beds, sumptuous furnishing and underfloor heating. Most also come with balconies or terraces and sea views. For those wanting maximum luxury, the Premier Suites are wonderful. There are also two luxurious standalone properties, ideal for families, which feature private decks and swimming pools.
Enjoy wining and dining at the hotel’s restaurant, SeaFood, which serves up the finest cuisine including the freshest fish and seafood dishes, in an elegant setting overlooking the sea. The staff will happily prepare gourmet picnics for you to enjoy when you are out exploring and there are plenty of superb restaurants nearby.
There are endless adventures to be had in the vicinity, including whale watching, bungee jumping, kayaking, scuba diving and horse riding. Stroll along Robberg Beach; browse the boutiques and art galleries in the town; or visit Monkeyland or the Elephant Sanctuary. After a busy day, laze by the inviting pool or be pampered at the spa.
Families with children over 12 years old are welcome in the main hotel. The self-contained properties are suitable for families with younger children. There are plenty of places to explore and activities to for children to enjoy. Babysitting can be arranged and children’s menus are provided.
Lightfoot Travel tip: It is worth requesting a room with a sea view.
The Plettenberg is a Relais & Chateaux property and part of The Collection by Liz McGrath.
The Plettenberg Information
- Location: 1 hour from George Airport, 15 minutes from Plettenberg Bay Airport, 2 hours from Port Elizabeth Bay Airport
- Accommodation: 37 individually decorated and elegant rooms and suites
- Activities: Whale Watching, Gourmet Picnic, Massages, Walks, Beach Bird Watching, Deep Sea Fishing, Hiking, Horse Riding, Kayaking / Paddling, Scuba Diving, Sky Diving, Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing, Wine Tasting, Canoeing, Biking
- Facilities: 3 restaurants, 1 bar & lounge, 2 outdoor pools, spa, business centre, library, secure parking, conference centre, gym, exclusive wedding venue
- Weather: Best visited September – May
- Children: Welcome
- Price Guide: From $343 per night for a Luxury Doubles with Sea View room