The Fly & Cruise concept is unique in allowing travellers to fly to and from Antarctica in less than two hours, avoiding the two day crossing of the renowned Drake Passage which most vessels undertake. Only seven days in length, it is perfect for those who are not confident sailors or those with time constraints allowing for exploration of the Chilean mainland. Fly to the South Shetland Islands where you board the Ocean Nova, a modern and comfortable vessel with a capacity for only 68 passengers across 35 single, twin and triple cabins. The beauty of this experience is that you will follow a very similar programme to those undertaken by vessels crossing from Ushuaia.
A four night Antarctic Express Fly & Cruise and an eight night Polar Circle Fly & Cruise option are also possible once a year aboard the Ocean Nova.
Day 1: Arrival in Punta Arenas, Chile
Upon arrival into Punta Arenas, southern Chile, you will be transferred to your hotel, where a representative will greet you. The rest of the day is at leisure for you to explore the town or buy any last minute supplies for your polar adventure. This evening take a pre-expedition dinner with your fellow travellers.
Day 2: From Punta Arenas to South Shetland Islands
This morning transfer to the airport for your flight (1.5-2 hours) across the notorious Drake Passage to the Chilean Air Force Base on King George Island in the South Shetland Islands where your ship awaits.
Stay: Cruise ship
Days 3 to 6: Antarctic Peninsula
Cruise between the South Shetland Islands and the western coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, sailing along ice-filled fjords and amongst spectacular icebergs. No journey is ever the same as flexibility is crucial in Antarctica whether that be due to weather condition or exceptional wildlife sightings.
Your voyage may include visits to sites such as Paulet Island, Hope Bay, Port Lockroy, Petermann Island, Paradise Bay, Deception Island, the Lemaire Channel, or many other magnificent places. Daily exploration by zodiac boat to explore together with the expeditionary guides you will encounter waddling penguins flitting from the sea to their nests and seals lounging on the beaches. Sightings of Minke and Humpback whales are common throughout much of the season, whilst a pod of hunting Orcas is a sight not to be missed!
Take the opportunity to kayak whilst in Antarctica, paddling through the iceberg-filled lagoons and getting up close to a Leopard Seal on a floating is a fantastic experience. Snow shoeing to tricky to reach high points is a way to get away from it all and contemplate the scenery in front of you.
Stay: Cruise ship
Day 7: From Antarctic Peninsula to Punta Arenas
Return to King George Island before boarding the flight back to Punta Arenas. You will spend the night in Punta Arenas again before departing in the morning.
|Day 1:||Arrival in Punta Arenas, Chile|
|Day 2:||From Punta Arenas to South Shetland Islands||Cruise ship|
|Days 3 to 6:||Antarctic Peninsula||Cruise ship|
|Day 7:||From Antarctic Peninsula to Punta Arenas|
- Flight to Antarctica
- All meals and non-alcoholic beverages
- Facilities aboard (fitness center, library, physician)
- Sightseeing and entrance fees
- Special access permits, park fees, port taxes
- Transfers to and from group flights
- The expertise of our expedition staff
- All excursions
- Zodiac & kayak explorations
- Snorkeling, including wetsuits, masks, fins & snorkel where relevant
- International flights
- Personal expenses
- Visa if applicable
- Travel insurance (please note that travel insurance is mandatory for all Lightfoot Travel holidays)
Ocean Nova Price Guide: From USD 11,595 per person based upon two people travelling, sharing a twin cabin in Antarctica (includes Antarctica flights but not Chile).
The Hebridean Sky Price Guide: From USD 14,595 per person based upon two people travelling, sharing a suite in Antarctica (includes Antarctica flights but not Chile)
Notes on our prices
- This price guide provides you with a broad indication of how much to budget for your holiday.
- Prices are generally based on two people travelling together (unless stated otherwise) on a shared room basis.
- Prices can fluctuate depending on season, standard of accommodation, excursions selected (private versus shared) etc.
- This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant
- Avoid the unpredictable waters of the Drake Passage with this unique 6 night voyage
- Smaller than most plying these waters, the ship can enter little explored bays and passages
- Kayak amongst icebergs, up close to wildlife and snowshoe to snow-covered peaks for incredible views
- Combine with the highlights of mainland Chile – Patagonia, the Atacama Desert, the Wine Region or even Easter Island
From USD 11,595 per person