Experience a legendary expedition on The Ghan through the Australian desert, encountering the spectacular scenery of the red centre at the heart of the continent.
Named after the Afghan cameleers who once traversed this route, The Ghan is a transcontinental rail journey offering an unsurpassed experience of Australia, from the Top End to the South in three unforgettable days.
Lightfoot prefers to use The Ghan as a relaxing and spoiling manner to make your way from Adelaide to the Coober Pedy mining outpost in the desert, overnight in the best cabin on the train – the Gold service twin cabin.
This cabin type features a three seater lounge which converts to upper and lower sleeping berths at night. Must-have ensuite facilities with toilet, washbasin and shower are included in the cabin. The Gold service also includes service from a dedicated attendant providing fresh sheets, bath towels, pillows, doonas and complimentary toiletries.
Gold Service fare includes hearty breakfasts, two course lunches and three course dinners. Vegetarian, children’s and limited special dietary meals are available when you make your booking. Meals in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant as well as standard drinks are included. Each meal offers a seasonal menu features mouth-watering dishes such as saltwater barramundi and grilled kangaroo fillet, all prepared by the onboard chefs.
The Ghan’s timetable makes the most of the daylight hours to offer unsurpassed views of the passing landscape. From the sweeping Adelaide Plains unfolding before your eyes to the majestic Flinders Ranges, The Ghan offers a perspective on South Australia you simply can’t afford to miss.
The Ghan Information
- Location: In South Australia, between Manguri (Coober Pedy) and Coonamia (Port Pirie, north of Adelaide city).
- Accommodation: Platinum, Gold and Red service cabins
- Facilities: Stylish Restaurant Car with freshly prepared meals and table service, Lounge Car for relaxation and refreshments, Cabin Steward service, In-cabin detailed journey commentary available
- Luggage: Due to space constraints, guests are advised to only take on board one item of hand luggage containing the requirements for their rail journey. Gold Service allows 2 items of checked luggage per person up to 25kgs per bag (total 50kg) which must not exceed 180 linear centimetres and cannot be accessed during the journey.
- Children: Children welcome