Lower Zambezi National Park, Zambia
On the banks of the Zambezi in the Lower Zambezi National Park, Old Mondoro (lion) is located in a wonderfully open area of forest. This simple camp offers an extremely high level of guiding, activity choice, service and excellent home-cooking, resulting in an authentic and intimate safari experience.
With just 8 beds, Old Mondoro exudes charm and charisma through a thoughtful and personalised service. The comfortable tents, constructed of canvas and natural materials, are strung out along a hippo-friendly channel off the Zambezi, enjoying great views with their half-height walls and small decks. Old Mondoro has an open and adventurous feel, providing a perfect retreat after a day filled with excitement in the bush and yet where much of the action will happen right in front of you. At night canvas blinds are rolled down and secured although you will find it hard to escape the magical sounds of the night chorus.
Activities at Old Mondoro focus on game drives and boating, though the elephant and hippo activity around camp is enough to encourage a lodge-based safari. Tasty meals are served fireside or in the open-sided thatched dining room, and star-gazing in this remote spot makes a perfect pastime.
Old Mondoro Information
- Location: Lower Zambezi National Park. A 45-minute flight from Lusaka to Jeki airstrip, followed by a 30-minute game drive to the camp.
- Accommodation: 4 tented chalets.
- Activities: Walks, day and night game drives, river safaris, fishing, canoeing.
- Weather: January – March is rainy season. The best time to visit is during the dry season, which runs from May – October. The best time for bird watching is after the rains in March.
- Children: Welcome over the age of 8. For children between the age of 12 and 16 who would like to go on walks or a canoe will be at the guides discretion.