Tangalle, Sri Lanka
Aptly named, The Last House is the architectural swan song of Sri Lanka’s most influential architect Geoffrey Bawa. A man known for blending Sri Lanka’s rich cultural past with clean, modern designs, this particular villa is very special.
Located on Sri Lanka’s beautiful southern coast, the Last House is positioned on an idyllic strip of land with a lagoon on one side and a fabulously long stretch of beach on the other. The estate is shaped like a horse-shoe with the kitchen, living rooms and courtyard bedrooms surrounding the swimming pool on three sides. The 6 bedrooms are beautifully furnished, airy and light, and can comfortably accommodate up to 12 guests with additional beds if required. A lovingly-tended garden with an expansive stretch of lawn leads down to the beach, which is full of coral pools and safe for swimming year-round.
The villa chef Ananda produces some superb local dishes using indigenous ingredients and the freshest of produce. The Ocean Crab Salad with Spicy Coconut Sauce is a favourite and not to be missed.
Lightfoot Travel says…
“The way The Last House is designed makes it the perfect setting for family reunions or groups of friends. Plus there is something so eerily romantic about its name…”
Last House Information
- Location: West of Tangalle. Approx 2-hours drive from Galle and 5 hours from Bandaranaike International Airport.
- Accommodation: 4 en-suite double bedrooms and a twin with a single ‘nanny’ room that shares a bathroom. 2 of the bedrooms are on the first floor of the main house, three are on the ground floor by the courtyard.
- Staff: 5 including an excellent chef.
- Activities: Superb beaches, Yala National Park, whale watching, snokeling.
- Facilites: Two-acre gardens, swimming pool, sandy beach with coral pools for swimming.
- Weather: Avoid May to August monsoon.
- Children: A very good villa for children as it has 2 acres of grassy lawns.