Your journey starts off in Oslo, where you will have time to discover Norway’s capital before starting your voyage aboard National Geographic Explorer. Though Svalbard is the most readily accessible bit of the polar north, it still remains one of the most spectacular regions with astounding landscapes and abundant wildlife.
This 10 day itinerary is great for first-timers looking to experience the Arctic in an easy fashion and the Lindblad Expeditions team are on-hand to ensure an unforgettable voyage.
Day 1: Arrival into Oslo
Upon arrival into Norway’s capital, where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded each year, you will start off your holiday with a stroll through the famed Vigeland sculptures. The next stop is the Polar Ship Fram Museum, which is dedicated to famed Norwegian explorers, Nansen & Amundsen and which will get you into the right mindset for your upcoming voyage. In the evening, you are free to explore the city and have dinner at one of the harbour restaurants.
Day 2: Embark on National Geographic Explorer
In the early morning, you will catch your private charter flight to Longyearbyen where you will embark on your ship. Be sure to look out the window during your flight and admire the beautiful vistas.
Day 3 – 8: Exploring Svalbard
During the next 6 days, you will explore the archipelago which is teeming with wildlife (polar bear, reindeer and walrus) as well as spectacular landscapes. The day to day itinerary is flexible so as to take into account local conditions and to ensure that your experience is the best possible one.
You will have the chance to hop aboard zodiacs and kayaks and get a closer look at the beautiful icebergs, wildlife and wildflowers present all round.
Day 9: Cruising back to Oslo
After your explorations of the High Arctic, you will slowly make your way make to Longyearben where you will have some time to visit this charming city, which is the world northernmost settlement. Then, you will board your charter flight and return to Oslo.
Day 10: Departure
Today, you will be transferred to the airport to catch your return flight home.
|Day 1:||Arrival into Oslo|
|Day 2:||Embark on National Geographic Explorer|
|Day 3 – 8:||Exploring Svalbard|
|Day 9:||Cruising back to Oslo|
- Accommodation aboard National Geographic ship
- All meals and non-alcoholic beverages
- Facilities aboard (fitness center, library, physician)
- Sightseeing and entrance fees
- Special access permits, park fees, port taxes
- Transfers to and from group flights
- The expertise of our expedition staff
- All excursions
- Zodiac & kayak explorations
- Snorkeling, including wetsuits, masks, fins & snorkel where relevant
- Presentations and guest speakers in the lounge
- International flights
- Personal expenses
- Visa if applicable
- Travel insurance (please note that travel insurance is mandatory for all Lightfoot Travel holidays)
From 10,430 per person for a Category 1 cabin aboard National Geographic Explorer
Notes on our prices
- This price guide provides you with a broad indication of how much to budget for your holiday.
- Prices are generally based on two people travelling together (unless stated otherwise) on a shared room basis.
- Prices can fluctuate depending on season, standard of accommodation, excursions selected (private versus shared) etc.
- This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant.
- Admiring the abundant wildlife that call Svalbard home
- Kayaking up to icebergs
- Staying aboard the National Geographic Explorer, Lindblad Expeditions flagship boat.
- Honing your photography skills with a certified photo instructor in a spectacular setting
From 10,430 per person