With glorious stretches of unspoiled beaches, 130 million year old primary rainforests, a wealth of indigenous tribes and wildlife abound, Borneo is a once in a lifetime, must visit destination.
Day 1: Arrival in Kuching
Make your own way to airport for our flight to Kuching. Upon arrival in Kuching, you will be met by a representative who will transfer you to your hotel.
Day 2: Kuching
Day free to do the following:
- Cultural visit to Sarawak
- Explore the Kuching Wetlands and go on a Firefly Cruise
- Trek Mount Santubong
Day 3: Kuching - Lemanak
Today after check out you will be met by your guide and transferred to Lemanak River. You will drive past lush, scenic countryside dotted with small roadside towns, farmhouses, Malay, Chinese and Bidayuh villages, and tall gigantic trees of the primary rainforest. En-route you will stop in at the Semenggoh Orangutan sanctuary for the feeding session.
When you reach Lemanak River you will board a motorised longboat and begin the next leg of your journey – traveling upstream against the flow of the water. Arrive at the longhouse and experience for yourself a way of life that goes back many centuries. After check in, take a dip in the cool waters of the Lemanak River.
After a simple dinner, join the rest of the longhouse folks and enjoy an evening of music and dance with rounds of tuak, their home made rice wine. When the evening winds down, guests can present their gifts to the Iban – small tokens which will be shared equally amongst all those present.
Day 4: Batang Ai
Take part in a blowpipe demonstration before proceeding for a nature walk to visit native farms and an Iban burial ground. Your trek ends at a picnic area on the banks of the Kesit River. Enjoy lunch the traditional way, with food cooked in bamboo or in a stone BBQ pit. Do bring your swim wear as there may be opportunities to swim in the river. If there has been no rain in the days prior to your visit, the waters will be clear and refreshingly cool. Later you will head to Hilton Batang Ai Longhouse for the night.
Stay: Aiman Batang Ai Resort and Retreat
Day 5: Batang Ai - Sarawak
After breakfast depart for Kuching. You will stop for lunch on the day. When you arrive you will be dropped off at the Lime Tree Hotel for check in and you are free to enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure.
Stay: Lime Tree Hotel
Day 6: Kuching - Kota Kinabalu - Sandakan
After breakfast, you will be transferred to the airport in time to catch your flight to Kota Kinabalu and then on to Sandakan. You have the rest of the day to explore and enjoy Sandakan.
Day 7: Sandakan – Kinabatangan River
This morning check out after breakfast and head to Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary for the morning feeding session at 0930. You will then transfer to Kinabatangan River. This afternoon, enjoy a wildlife river cruise and spend the evening in a riverside lodge.
Day 8: Kinabatangan River
Morning river cruise and afternoon river cruise (shared excursions). Lunch and dinner will be served at the lodge.
Day 9: Kinabatangan River – Bunga Raya
Transfer back to Sandakan and fly to Kota Kinabalu. transfer to the Jetty and take a short speedboat transfer to Bunga Raya.
Days 10-11: Bunga Raya Island Resort
Named after the exotic hibiscus flower, Bunga Raya Island Resort is located on the fringe of both beach and tropical rainforest. The resort is set on a coral reef island and is the perfect tropical hideaway complete with stilted lodges and stunning ocean views.
Over the next two days simply relax and enjoy the beauty of this island. There are plenty of opportunities for diving, snorkeling, swimming, or just relaxing on the beach with a good book!
Day 12: Bunga Raya - Home
Today after check out you will be transferred on the 7am boat back to Sandakan. From here you will make your way home.
* This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own Travel Designer.
|Day 1:||Arrival in Kuching|
|Day 3:||Kuching - Lemanak|
|Day 4:||Batang Ai||Aiman Batang Ai Resort and Retreat|
|Day 5:||Batang Ai - Sarawak||Lime Tree Hotel|
|Day 6:||Kuching - Kota Kinabalu - Sandakan|
|Day 7:||Sandakan – Kinabatangan River|
|Day 8:||Kinabatangan River|
|Day 9:||Kinabatangan River – Bunga Raya|
|Days 10-11:||Bunga Raya Island Resort|
|Day 12:||Bunga Raya - Home|
- Accommodation including breakfast
- Tours and transfers as mentioned by private air conditioned vehicle unless stated otherwise
- 24 hour emergency contact
- International flights
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Early check in/ late check-out.
- Travel insurance (please note that this is required for all Lightfoot Travel holidays)
From USD 3,050 per person based on two guests travelling
Notes on our prices
- This price guide provides you with a broad indication of how much to budget for your holiday.
- Prices are generally based on two people travelling together (unless stated otherwise) on a shared room basis.
- Prices can fluctuate depending on season, standard of accommodation, excursions selected (private versus shared) etc.
- This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant
- Discover Kuching. Located on the banks of the Sarawak River and with colonial buildings lining the streets, it is easy to see why Kuching is considered the prettiest city in Borneo.
- Spend a night with a night with a indiginous headhunter tribe, staying in in a traditional longhouse and enjoying local village hospitality.
- Visit the excellent Semenggok Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, one of few places in Sarawak to see orang-utans.
- Spend a few days discovering the vast Kingabantangan river which is teeming with wildlife, includeing wild Orang utans.
- Relax on a beautiful remote Lankayan Island.
From USD 3,050 per person