One of Botswana’s original safari camps, Xakanaxa (pronounced ka-ka-na-ka) exudes an authentic bush camp atmosphere that blends in harmoniously with nature whilst providing you with all you need for a luxurious safari in the African bush.
Located on the banks of the Khwai River, in the northern sector of the Moremi Game Reserve, Xakanaxa is one of the few Okavango lodges that can offer you comprehensive year-round boating and mokoro trips as well as extensive nature drives into the surrounding wildlife-rich areas. The diverse habitat makes for extraordinary game viewing and birding is especially spectacular in the spring and summer months when the migrants are breeding.
Accommodating up to 24 guests, Xakanaxa’s 12 tastefully designed, spacious Meru-styled tents come with en-suite showers and a private viewing deck offering relaxing views of the lagoon. The raised lounge and bar area, as well as the thatched dining room, provide for a restful sanctuary with amazing views.
- Location: Moremi Game Reserve, Okavango Delta. A 25-minute light aircraft flight from Maun to Xakanaxa airstrip followed by a 15-minute game drive to the camp.
- Accommodation: 13 tented rooms, including one guide tent.
- Facilities: 2 pools, 2 dining areas, lounge & bar, curio shop.
- Activities: Game drives, speed boats, mokoro trips, bird watching.
- Weather: Best to go during the high season months of May to September when there is less rainfall and game viewing is at its best. However, as this is winter, early mornings and evenings are cold.
- Children: Children over the age of 8 are welcome at the camp.