Western Cape, South Africa
Located between Plettenburg Bay and Knysna in South Africa’s Western Cape, Tsala Treetop Lodge is more than just an ideal base from which to explore the Garden Route; it is a unique experience in itself. The lodge’s name means ‘elevated resting place’ in the local indigenous language, and its style and setting make it memorably relaxing and yet adventurous.
Tsala Treetop Lodge remains true to its forest surrounds, yet still provides supreme comfort and luxury. Whether you are in one of the 10 treetop suites or the six two-bedroom villas, you will be perched up high among the treetops, tucked away into the forest canopy. Each of the sumptuous rooms has a private infinity pool and wraparound deck and lavishly designed interiors.
The lodge is a heady fusion of African, Indian and tribal influences and architecture, with traditional craftmanship and materials employed throughout. For example, as you recline on your ottoman in the Zinzi restaurant, your tasting platter will be lit by handmade ‘mud’ chandeliers, in which crystals illuminate balls of clay.
Take breakfast in the glass-walled dining room or out on the floating dining deck, suspended above the forest floor. By day, relax in the treetops or explore the beauty of the surrounding coastline.
Impossibly romantic, Tsala Treetop Lodge is also family-friendly, although not recommended for very young visitors due to the elevated nature of all the rooms. Children have a special menu at the restaurant, and babysitting is available. Besides, which kid, big or small, wouldn’t love to stay in his or her own tree house in the middle of an enchanted forest?
Tsala Treetop Lodge is a Hunter Hotels property, as is Marataba.
Tsala Treetop Lodge Information
- Location: Ideally situated between the coastal towns of Knysna and Plettenberg Bay in the Western Cape, 1hr 15mins drive from George airport, 2hr 30mins drive from Port Elizabeth airport.
- Accomodation: 10 Tree-house suites, 6 two-bedroomed villas.
- Facilities: Wifi, 24-hour room service, private infinity pools, well-stocked library with fireplace, curio and retail store, pamper treatments (on request).
- Activities: Swim with seals, Birds of Eden (bird sanctuary), monkeyland, elephant interactions, Tenikwa Wild Cat sanctuary, dolphin and whale watching, boat trips, sailing, surfing, high speed boating, kayaking, bunjee jumping, horse riding, sky diving, shark cage diving, hiking, golf, cultural tours, treetop canopy tours.
- Weather: A comfortably warm summer extends from October right through to April. In mid-summer the days are gloriously long with the sun setting around seven thirty in the evening and sunrise around five thirty am. Winter days are generally very mild but nights and evenings can be refreshingly cool.
- Children: Welcome. Babysitting facilities are available.