The much-loved grande dame of the Mauritian hotel scene, The Residence occupies a mile-long stretch of powdery white sand in Belle Mare, on the east coast of the island.
Its colonial decor and nostalgic ambience along with its white-gloved staff and old-school service may not fit the bill if its contemporary style you’re after, but if you’re looking for yesteryear glamour and reliable luxury, The Residence is the one to beat.
135 rooms, each with either garden or ocean view, have their own personal butler, and the 28 suites also have four poster beds and large terraces.
Breakfast and à la carte dinners are served in the wooden poolside dining room, while The Plantation restaurant is in a planter’s house on the beach and serves Creole dishes and regular live shows in the form of dance and traditional entertainment. Afternoon tea and evening cocktails are served in The Residence’s large lounge-bar, where live music is also provided by night.
The spa at The Residence occupies nine separate cabins, and provides a full menu of treatments and personalised programmes. The resort has three tennis courts, a fitness centre, steam room and sauna, and can arrange almost anything for intrepid guests wanting to go deep sea fishing, scuba diving, or horse riding. Water sports such as water-skiing, windsurfing, trips in a glass-bottom boat, and snorkelling, canoeing and kayaking are provided to guests free of charge.
For families, many rooms and suites interconnect. The Planters Kids Club is free for those aged between 3 and 12 and provides indoor and outdoor, daytime and evening activities and special menus for the children.
The Residence Mauritius Information
- Location:Belle Mare beachfront, 50min drive from the airport.
- Accommodation:135 Rooms and 28 Suites.
- Facilities:The Sanctuary (spa and wellness centre), 3 floodlit tennis courts, sauna, steam room, fitness euipment, heated pool, wifi, the Planter’s Kids Club.
- Activities:Water activities such as water skiing, windsurfing, snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving, deep sea fishing, catamaran cruise, undersea walk and glass bottom boat trips, horse-riding, wide choice of massages, custom-made programmes and treatments.
- Weather:Mauritius enjoys a perennial sunny climate, with the daytime coastal temperature varying from 22oC / 72oF in winter (May to November), to 31oC / 88oF in the summer months (December to April). It rains more heavily in summer, although the showers tend to be rather brief.
- Children:Inspired by a sugar-cane plantation house, The Planters Kids Club is nestled in a wondrous tropical park set just steps from the beach. Children from 3 to 12 can romp around free of charge, enjoying the conviviality of the house or the fun of the playgrounds in the surrounding gardens. A creative and efficient team of professionals will supervise a wide choice of activities including treasure hunts, snorkelling classes, sports competitions, face painting, hikes and picnics, glass-bottom boat tours, theme days, pony rides, and much more. At night, The Planters Kids Club also offers evening entertainment, fashion shows, plays, films, or activities related to the magic world of fairy tales. The meals have been designed to satisfy even the pickiest eaters, offering a wide assortment of fun dishes and food activities, such as making and cooking your own pizza in small baking ovens.