One of only a select few hotels outside India from the excellent Oberoi Group, the Oberoi Mauritius lies within a protected marine park along Turtle Bay on the north west coast of the island.
71 rooms, suites and villas are spread around 20 acres of subtropical gardens, and the use of plenty of natural materials – stone, wood and thatch – makes the hotel feel more like a romantic island hideaway than a resort-style hotel.
Indeed, you only have to step inside one of the bedrooms or suites to realise that they are best suited to couples, as each one has a four poster bed, and each bathroom a sunken marble bath.
Families are amply provided for, however, in the villas, many of which have private swimming pool and gardens.
As with the architecture, food at The Oberoi Mauritius is a fusion of European, African and Creole
influences, and the restaurant’s design is particularly striking, with imposing pillars bearing a palm-thatched roof. Here again, the emphasis is on romance, with flickering candlelight and breathtaking sunset views. Light meals and BBQs are served at the On the Rocks restaurant, overlooking the Indian Ocean.
The Spa Suites at the Oberoi Mauritius are dotted around the lush gardens, while more active pursuits are available in the form of water sports, swimming in the pool or the sea, tennis, and gym equipment and classes.
The Oberoi Mauritius was voted Leading Hotel in Mauritius at the World Travel Awards 2013 and was one of the top three hotels for service in Africa, Middle East and the Indian Ocean according to The Gold List in the UK’s Conde Nast Traveller in 2012.
The Oberoi Mauritius Information
- Location:15km away from the capital city of Port Louis, 55min drive from the airport.
- Accommodation:48 Luxury Pavilions, 5 Luxury Villas with private gardens, 16 Luxury Villas with private swimming pools and 2 Royal Villas with private swimming pools.
- Facilities:The Spa including gymnasium, steam bath, beauty parlor individual spa suites with private jacuzzis, floodlit tennis courts, wifi, private swimming pools, 2 restaurants, bar, boutique, business centre, library of DVDs and books, board games.
- Activities:Wind surfing, water skiing, diving, sailing, traditional Mauritian spa and massage treatments.
- Weather:Mauritius enjoys a perennial sunny climate, with the daytime coastal temperature varying from 22oC / 72oF in winter (May to November), to 31oC / 88oF in the summer months (December to April). It rains more heavily in summer, although the showers tend to be rather brief.
- Children:All ages are welcome. For children from four to 13 years, a kids club features a soft play area, fenced play area outside and a programme of activities including games and movies. Babysitting facilities are available at an additional charge.