Just like its predecessor, The Inn at the Spanish Steps, this small guest-house style hotel prefers to tuck itself discreetly away, a stone’s throw from some of Rome’s most iconic sites, yet maintaining the feel of a calm private home.
Around the corner from the Colosseum and the Roman Forum, this member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World has a pretty spectacular claim to fame; it is the only luxury residence in the city to house Roman ruins within its walls.
Or, to be more precise, beneath its floors.
Through a small door behind reception lies a passageway leading to a 2,000 year old stone crypt complete with statues, columns and engravings. Excavated in 1887, the Cryptoporticus is counted among the hotel’s facilities, alongside the roof terrace and the lounge, yet this superbly preserved monument is a history lesson in itself.
The Inn at the Roman Forum has 15 rooms and suites spread over three floors. Many overlook the pedestrianised Via degli Ibernesi or the building’s own internal courtyard. Two adjoining Master Garden Rooms have direct access into the hotel’s roof garden, as well as their own private patio.
The roof terrace has views over cupolas to the ruins of the Palatine Hill, and it is here among fig trees and palms that breakfast and light lunches are served, along with cocktails and nibbles in the early evening.
The Inn at the Roman Forum does not have a restaurant, but you couldn’t be more centrally located so will be spoilt for choice where restaurants, bars and caffès are concerned.
The Inn at the Roman Forum Information
- Location:Rome, about 45 minutes drive from Leonardo Da Vinci-Flumicino Airport.
- Accomodation:15 Rooms and Suites.
- Facilities:Rooftop terrace, lounge, Cryptoporticus, wifi.
- Activities:Visit city attractions such as Vatican Museum, Colosseum and the Spanish Steps, various sightseeing tours.
- Weather:Summers (from June to September) are hot and dry with temperatures often soaring to 37°C. Spring (March to June) and early autumn (September and October) are the best times to visit, with lovely blue skies and mild temperatures. November and December are the two wettest months.
- Children:Welcome. Family rooms are available.