Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia
Situated on the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia, Tanjong Jara Resort is a sanctuary of wellness and luxury steeped in ancient Malay traditions.
Designed to reflect the elegance and grandeur of 17th century Malay palaces, Tanjong Jara sprawls over a 17 hectare site flanked by a seemingly endless stretch of private beach. Most of the 99 rooms enjoy splendid views over the South China Sea.
Snorkelling and diving off the resort is splendid, in the Terengganu Marine Park. The property also has two swimmings pools, one for families and one an adult only pool. If you prefer to keep your feet dry, rent a bicycle from the hotel and cycle to the nearby villages for a trip back in time, or wander out in the evening to the busy atmostphere for the Dungun pasar malam (night market). The award-winning spa village is perfect to spend 120 minutes in quiet soothing bliss, after a game of tennis or an hour in the gym.
If you’re a foodie, your tastebuds will be spoilt here. At the Di Atas Sungei restaurant, don’t expect a menu, but instead, your meal is customised perfectly to your palate. Children are not forgotten either, they get to order exactly what whets their appetite. And to get the whole family involved in the culinary experience, sign up for a session at the cooking school with Chef Anne to take home some tasty recipes to add to your repertoire.
Tanjong Jara is the ideal long weekend break within Asia, Lightfoot recommends three nights to make the most of your precious holiday time.
Tanjong Jara Resort Information
- Location: East coast of Peninsula Malaysia, 75min drive to Kuala Terengganu Airport
- Accomodation: 99 rooms
- Facilities: 2 Swimming pools, tennis courts, library, gift shop and boutique, conference hall
- Activities: Snorkelling or diving in Tenggol island, walk with resort naturalist, cooking class with Chef Ann, guided bicyle tour, eco-adventure Marang river cruise, Chemerung excursion with picnic lunch, batik painting, golf, traditional handicraft tour
- Weather: Best times between March and September, though expect occasional showers typical of Southeas Asia
- Children: Welcome, family activities can be arranged. Babysitting services available.
- Price Guide: From USD 588 for 3 nights in a Bumbung Room including return airport transfers for two pax (Shoulder Season)