Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania
Siwandu (formerly Selous Safari Camp) is ideally situated within an open palm forest on the shores of Lake Nzerakera, a massive lake adjoining the Great Rufiji River in the Selous Game Reserve. Blending in superbly with its natural surroundings in what is one of the most photogenic areas of the Selous Game Reserve.
The mighty 55,000sqkm Selous Game Reserve, one of Africa’s least known yet wildest conservation areas, is almost twice the size of Belgium and four times larger than the famous Serengeti in the North, covering 5% of Tanzania’s land area. In amongst this vast landscape, Siwandu is privileged to have
prime position at the centre of this unique riverine and lake complex, with the highest concentration of African wildlife and myriad birdlife. There are no fences and no artificial modifications so animals may wander freely through the camp and often do.
All safari tents are widely spaced along the lake shore ensuring maximum privacy and wonderful views. Each tent sits atop its own raised timber platform with two large verandahs on either side where one can sit with a cup of tea in the morning watching the bush come to life at sunrise, or nursing a gin and tonic as the bush gets ready for the night at sunset.
Siwandu offers an exceptionally large array of activities to choose from, be it by boat, vehicle or foot. The excellent guides will tailor make your stay to suit exactly what you would like to do. Game drives are in open four wheeled drive vehicles, specially adapted for close up game viewing. Boat safaris are conducted in sturdy metal boats with a boatman who has grown up on the river and is familiar with the pathways. Game walks are another unique opportunity which you can do in the Selous. Learn and discover the little things which are neglected from the vehicle. This is an experience not to be missed.
- Location: Selous Game Reserve, Lake Nazerakera, Tanzania. A 45-minute light aircraft flight from Dar Es Salaam airport to Siwandu airstrip. It is then a 20-minute game drive to the camp.
- Accommodation: 13 Luxury Tents.
- Activities: Morning and evening game drives, boat safaris, game walks, fishing and fly camping.
- Facilities: Swimming Pool.
- Weather: The rainy season is from March to May and November to December. The camp is closed in April and May. June to October and January and February are the dry months and a good time to visit.
- Children: elcome from 8 years onwards. Children under the age of 16 are not permitted to walk in the Selous.