Sabi Sand Game Reserve, Kruger National Park
In the western sector of the Sabi Sand Game Reserve lies over 10,000 hectares (24,711 acres) of pristine bushveld comprising the Savanna Private Game Reserve.
Here, a luxurious nine-suite lodge wants each of its guests to feel part of the ‘Savanna family’, and to take away their own memories of the extraordinary wildlife encounters that this corner of the greater Kruger National Park reserve provides.
Savanna states that its aim is to combine the romance and elegance of a bygone colonial era with all the convenience and comfort of modern day living. In addition, Savanna prides itself on providing highly personalised service, whether out on safari or in the lodge, ensuring that each guest has his or her ideal experience.
Of the nine, three Executive Suites and four Luxury Suites in particular strive to recreate the true old-fashioned safari experience. Looking up at your draped ceilings, you will feel that you are sleeping in a Bedouin style tent, yet can be safe in the knowledge that you in fact in a permanent structure and have solid canvas walls around you!
All suites at Savanna have covered patios for al fresco private meals, air conditioning, en suite bathrooms, and indoor and outdoor showers. In addition, each of the three Executive Suites each has a lounge and private plunge pool.
Lush gardens surround the suites and the Main Lodge, and the swimming pool overlooks one of the five nearby waterholes, which is floodlit to ensure that you miss none of the activity in and around it. Within the Main Lodge at Savanna are a dining area, bar and wine cellar, and a loft library, with a large patio outside it.
Families should go for the thatched Savanna Suite, which has an en-suite bedroom on either side of a spacious lounge, as well as a large covered terrace for private dining.
Savanna Lodge Information
- Location: Western sector of the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, 1-hour flight from O.R. Tambo International Airport (Johannesburg) directly to the Sabi Sabi airstrip, scenic 5-hour chauffeured or self-drive from Johannesburg.
- Accomodation: 9 Suites.
- Facilities: Gym, satellite TV, DVD access.
- Activities: Game drives, family safaris, golf (Skukuza or the magnificent Leopard Creek course), elephant sanctuary, excursions along the Panorama route, visits to an African village, star drive.
- Weather: Best visited May – October although this time of year is cold in the evenings and mornings. The months from October to March can get very hot with more rain making the bush denser so game is tricker to see.
- Children: All ages are welcome for the Savanna suites, no children under 8 years for Executive and Luxury suites.