Don’t be fooled by the name – there is nothing clichéd about this urban coastal hotel on Naples harbour.
There are plenty of contrasts here: views across to Capri and Vesuvius, and down to the dock workers at the port; Eastern and Western cuisine, style and design, and the traditional alongside the modern.
Designed by Japanese father and son architects Kenzo and Paul Tange, the Romeo Hotel was once the Palazzo Lauro, although its traditional Neapolitan roots seem a long way off when standing outside today’s gleaming metal and glass structure. Its Asian influences are evident throughout, yet there are also myriad touches true to the hotel’s location in the heart of ancient Naples.
The Romeo has 83 rooms, including 24 suites. Rooms are either Deluxe, Deluxe Bay View, or Studio Corner – the latter with the best and most varied views. Suites include the Japanese Garden Suite, which has two bedrooms and its own Feng-Shui garden.
The hotel’s public spaces, including its Beluga Skybar, are littered with expensive pieces of contemporary Italian art and photography. In the glass-walled Cigar Room, a Francesco Clemente painting was commissioned especially for the Romeo.
There is a small outdoor pool on a terrace on the hotel’s ninth floor. Also up here on the top floor is Il Comandante, the hotel’s Michelin-starred restaurant, combining Oriental with Mediterranean ingredients and recipes. The Romeo Sushi Bar & Restaurant on the ground floor has a central marble sushi bar as well as private tables, and rare Japanese antiques on display.
Families are welcome at the Hotel Romeo, with babysitting available and a stylish indoor Kids Garden playroom filled with toys such as a rocking horse and a doll’s house.
Romeo Hotel Information
- Location: Naples, 30 min drive from Naples International Airport.
- Accommodation: 83 Rooms and suites.
- Facilities: Bar, Laundry Room, Outdoor Swimming Pool, City Tour, Shuttle Service, Spa and Wellness Centre, Turkish Bath.
- Activities: Massage Treatment, Sauna, Play Area, Billiards/Snooker.
- Weather: Summers are usually in the 30-40°C range. In the winter it can get a bit chilly averaging around 10°C. Spring and early autumn have the best weather with mild but still warm temperatures. From December to March, you can expect plenty of rain.
- Children: Welcome. Hotel offers a Kids Garden to ensure your child’s safety while playing indoors. Babysitting service is also available on request and the hotel provides a vast collection of books and dvds for their entertainment. Younger guests also receive a personalized gift in their room.