Fans of imperial Roman history and modern-day Russell Crowe films alike will delight in the Palazzo Manfredi’s outstanding location alongside the Colosseum.
Few hotels can rival the setting provided by the Palazzo Manfredi; there can be no doubting where in the world you are as you eat on the terrace overlooking the monumental ruins of one of Rome’s most iconic sights.
A Relais & Chateaux member, Palazzo Manfredi has just fifteen rooms and suites and occupies a beautiful 17th century palace building. Many of the rooms also have Colosseum views and those that don’t look out over Emperor Nero’s Domus Aurea (Golden House) – not in itself a bad outlook!
Part of the hotel itself is built over the ruins of the Ludus Magnus, the gym connected to the Colosseum by secret underpass, and used by the gladiators before battle.
At the hotel’s rooftop Aroma restaurant, it is easy to overlook the menu and to focus solely on the heart-stopping views of the Colosseum and the Forum area, but the cuisine more than does justice to the mouth-watering setting. Choose from a tasting menu or the a la carte option, accompanied by an Italian wine from the 300-label cellar at Aroma Restaurant.
Book a table on the terrace and start your evening with a glass of champagne or a cocktail in the candle-lit Lounge Bar, overlooking Nero’s gardens.
Palazzo Manfredi Information
- Location: Rome, about 50 minutes drive from Leonardo Da Vinci-Flumicino Airport.
- Accomodation: 16 Rooms and Suites
- Facilities: Library, WiFi, Restaurant, Bar, Flat Screened TV (in room)
- Activities: Visit city attractions such as Vatican Museum, Colosseum and the Spanish Steps.
- Weather: Summers (from June to September) are hot and dry with temperatures often soaring to 37°C. Spring (March to June) and early autumn (September and October) are the best times to visit, with lovely blue skies and mild temperatures. November and December are the two wettest months.
- Children: A local nanny can be rearranged to babysit for you. The restaurant has a kids menu.