Canterbury, New Zealand
Set within 30 acres of magnificent gardens not far from Christchurch in New Zealand’s South Island, is Otahuna Lodge, a luxury boutique-style hotel where old-world charm meets modern day sophistication.
Dating back to 1895 and originally built for Sir Heaton Rhodes, one of the pioneers of early Canterbury, this grand and historic homestead is the ideal base from which to explore the region. It will appeal to travellers looking for a tranquil and intimate escape in a spectacular setting. The property only accepts children over 12.
Otahuna Lodge offers seven luxuriously appointed and spacious suites. Classically elegant and individually designed, each room features a super-king bed, custom-made linens, stunning bathrooms and all modern amenities. For those looking to indulge, the Veranda Suite is stunning and includes an enormous balcony offering breath-taking views across the Canterbury plains.
Dining at the lodge is a gastronomic experience and the emphasis is on fresh, home-grown produce. Meals are accompanied by the finest New Zealand wines and you can eat communally or dine in private in a variety of intimate locations.
As well as cookery classes, cycling and nature walks, a wealth of activities can be arranged nearby from visiting wineries and playing golf to fishing or helicopter trips. After a day of exploring, the lodge is the ideal place to relax. Take a dip in the outdoor pool or Jacuzzi; stroll through the delightful gardens; play croquet or tennis; or be pampered with a massage.
Otahuna Lodge is a Relais & Châteaux property.
Otahuna Lodge Information
- Location: 30 minutes from Christchurch Airport
- Accommodation: 2 master suites and 5 suites
- Activities: Horseback riding, gold, fishing, heli-skiing, heli-touring, Waipara Valley wine & sculpture tour, foothills explorer, transalpine adventure, high country experience, Kaikoura, Akaroa & Banks peninsula, Christchurch highlights, croquet, petanque
- Facilities: Tennis courts, gym, spa & massage, outdoor heated pool, dutch garden, daffodil field, woodlands, potager garden, wine cellar
- Weather: The best time to travel is from September to May.
- Children: Ages 12 and above
- Price Guide: From USD 995 per night (2 guests)