South Luangwa, Zambia
Set on the banks of the Luangwa River overlooking the South Luangwa National Park, Nkwali Camp is an intimate camp with just 6 thatched cottages and 1 two bedroom house offering a safari experience like no other.
The private land that the camp is located on is superb game viewing country, with a beautiful area of ebony woodland and open grass plains. Elephants often cross the Luangwa, seen from the bar, or come to the waterhole near the thatched dining room. To access the park, it is just a 2 minute boat ride or a 15 minute drive away, however, from just behind the camp you can sometimes see just as much as you would see in the park, this includes leopard, lion and occasionally wild dog.
The 6 cottages, which includes one family room and also Robin’s House which is taken on an exclusive use basis and has two bedrooms are spacious and all offer great views of the river. The rooms are open during the day letting in the cooling breezes and sounds of the bush, at night they are enclosed to ensure your safety. The bathrooms are open to the skies, perfect for star gazing from the shower.
Activities tend to revolve around the wildlife viewing which can be experienced from a vehicle or on foot. A visit to the local village of Kawaza is a wonderful and humbling experience and a great way to interact with the local, learn about their way of life.
Nkwali Camp Information
- Location: Private land just outside the South Luangwa National Park. A 1hr 30-minute flight from Lusaka to Mfuwe. It is then a 40-minute transfer to the camp, stopping to look at game on the way.
- Accommodation: 6 chalets and 1 exclusive use two bedroom house (Robin’s House).
- Activities: Walking, game drives, night game drives, visit to Kawaza Village and school.
- Facilities: Swimming pool.
- Weather: January – March is rainy season. The best time to visit is during the dry season which runs from May – October. It can get stifling hot during the months of late October and November before the rains arrive. The best time for bird watching is after the rains in March.
- Children: Welcome over 7 years. A range of family safari activities arranged by the camp staff. Babysitting can be arranged.