Marakele National Park, South Africa
Marataba is a vast private concession within the Marakele National Park in South Africa’s Limpopo Province. Hidden here, at the foot of the Waterberg Mountains and among the trees and shrubs of the bushveld, are 15 tented suites built from canvas and stone.
Each has its own private deck, and opulent features including king-size beds, free-standing stone baths, and indoor and outdoor showers.
The extravagant main lodge has a large lounge with an open fireplace, a library, and plentiful outside spaces for eating, drinking, reading or taking in the view. Exposed brickwork and clever lighting make for a dramatic setting inside and out, by day or night.
Eat in the sophisticated surrounds of the dining room, or at one of the private outdoor hideaway spots that the team will set up for you. Lounge around the large swimming pool, or rock away the hours in a hammock.
In the Marakele National Park, the Waterberg Mountains overlook wide game-filled plains, lush bushveld and winding rivers and valleys. As this zone links the drier western and the wetter eastern regions of South Africa, wildlife here is diverse and abundant. All of the larger game species are here, and spectacularly rich birdlife too. Two game drives a day are included in your stay at Marataba.
Being malaria-free, the region is a perfect safari destination for families, although Marataba is unashamedly indulgent and perhaps not the ideal choice for those with young children.
- Location: Marakele National Park, 4 hours drive to Johannesburg O.R. Tambo International Airport
- Accomodation: 15 Tented suites.
- Facilities: Large lounge with a fireplace, spacious swimming pool with pool loungers, hammocks in the trees to relax in, complimentary Wi-Fi access in the main lodge area, curio & retail store, well stocked library, ladies bar, conference room and conference facilities.
- Activities: Game drives, game walks, swimming safaris and fishing safaris, photographic safaris.
- Weather: During the summer months from September to April the weather is warm to hot with wonderful balmy evenings. Temperatures can fluctuate from 25ºC – 35ºC in the daytime and there is a chance of rain. The winter is chilly at night and early in the mornings but the daytime temperatures can be pleasantly warm.
- Children: 8 years and above are welcome.