This small boutique beach retreat is located on the north western tip of Manda Island, one of the many unspoiled, idyllic islands of the Lamu archipelago. An exclusive resort, Manda Bay offers barefoot luxury and informal pampering.
All the buildings are constructed with local materials in traditional coastal style, with palm thatch roofs and woven matting covering the floors. The16 en-suite, open cottages overlook the Indian Ocean and are equipped with king size beds and overhead fans inside large flowing mosquito nets. 11 rooms are situated on the waterfront and 5 are slightly set back and elevated. All bedrooms, sitting rooms, bar and dining areas overlooking the calm waters of the bay.
Surrounded by miles of soft yellow sand and acres of wildlife filled bush behind the lodge, Manda Bay combines a beach and bush experience with camp fires, star gazing, walks, a multitude of different water sports and peaceful tranquility for those who wish to simply unwind. Cruise on Utamaduni, the 60ft traditional sailing dhow.
Scenic flights over the Tana Delta and the Dodori National Reserve to see the abundant wildlife. Cultural visits to the 9th century Takwa Ruins, scattered amongst giant Baobab trees, or to Lamu – a World Heritage SIte. Water sports such as windsurfing, water-skiing, wake-boarding, banana boating, laser sailing, snorkelling and kayaking are all on offer.
Manda Bay Information
- Location:Manda Island, Lamu. Three scheduled flights from Nairobi to Lamu everyday. The flight is 1.5hours and it is then a 20 minute boat ride to the lodge.
- Accommodation:11 beachfront cottages and 5 sea-view rooms
- Activities:Water Skiing, fishing, snorkelling, deep sea fishing, sailing, kayaking and windsurfing and trips to Lamu Town
- Facilities:Swimming pool, games room
- Weather:Open all year round. June and July are windy months which is good for sailing, The long rainy season falls between March and May and the short rainy season is between October and November. The best time for diving with good visibility is from late September/October.
- Children:All ages welcome and very well catered for. The calm waters are ideal for children.