Sabi Sands, South Africa
Family owned and managed since 1933, Lion Sands Private Game Reserve is situated in the southern sector of the 65,000 hectare Sabi Sands Game Reserve, adjacent to the Kruger National Park, and is the only private reserve to have access to the perennial Sabie River.
The ultra stylish and luxurious Lion Sands River lodge is situated on the banks of the Sabie River under a canopy of trees dating back almost 800 years, with the swimming pool and lounging deck area being one of the many prime game viewing spots at the lodge. There is a homely lounge and bar area, an indoor and outdoor dining area, a health spa and gym and a secluded river island deck built on the river designed for birding and game viewing.
The 20 thatched en-suite bedrooms are linked to the main lodge by raised wooden walkways. They are cool and airy rooms decorated in earthy tones, with air-conditioning, mini bars and wooden viewing decks. The attractive bathrooms have pebble in-laid floors and outdoor showers.
From Lion Sands River Lodge enjoy a wealth of experiences such as game drives in this wonderfully rich game area, guided walks – a thrilling and exciting experience, viewing game from a hide, hot air ballooning at sunrise and cultural visits as well. There is also a spa at the lodge which uses the incredibly luxurious and indigenous Africology products.
Lion Sands River Lodge Information
- Location: Sabi Sands Game Reserve.
- Accommodation: 20 thatched bedrooms.
- Activities: Game drives, bush walks, astronomy, bush breakfasts and dinners, cultural village excursions.
- Facilities: Spa, 2 swimming pools which are heated in winter, gym, secluded bird hide.
- Weather: Best visited May – October although this time of year is cold in the evenings and mornings. The months from October to March can get very hot with more rain making the bush denser so game is tricker to see.
- Children: Welcome. The recommended age for children on safari is 6 years old. There are inter-leading rooms.