An extravagant 8 bedroom private house ideal for a house party or a family gathering in the African bush. Exclusive-use only – the house is entirely at your disposal and is impeccably managed.
Originally built as a country retreat by Lords Valentine and Michael Cecil, Laragai offers unparalleled seclusion and comfort in a breathtaking setting. The property is located on a 13,000 hectare working cattle ranch which underwent a conversion to wildlife conversation and ecotourism in the early 1990s. Activities on offer include day and night game drives, guided wildlife, birdlife and scenic bush walks, bush picnics, sundowners as well as cultural visits and horseback and camel safaris.
It is a unique house in both style and situation. The interior of the house features the best in local furniture with luxurious carpets from Rajasthan and fabrics from London. The sitting room is ‘African Baronial’ with a thatched roof, enormous fireplace and animal paintings.
The views from Laragai are exceptional – Lolokwe and Wamba Mountains dominate the far horizons to the north and Mount Kenya looms out of the clouds to the south and 3,000 feet below is Kenya’s Northern Frontier District.
There is plenty of entertainment in the home, which has satellite television, an extensive DVD library and Wi-Fi Internet access throughout. There is also a fantastic sound system with many CDs to choose from and, for musicians, a full size electronic keyboard that is wired into the amplifier. The extensive games room can keep the whole family entertained with table tennis, croquet and boules.
From the sheltered area around the heated swimming pool guests have a view across to Borana Ranch. The Pool House has a bar, kitchen and bathroom and is the perfect place for long lunches while the alcoves around the pool provided shaded retreats for an afternoon siesta. There is also a clay tennis court with racquets and balls provided.
Laragai House Information
- Location:Laikipia, Kenya. A 4 hour drive from Nairobi and a 1 hour drive from Nanyuki. Daily scheduled flights from Nairobi Wilson Domestic airport to Lewa Downs – a 1 hour drive from the house.
- Accommodation:6 double rooms and 2 children’s rooms
- Activities:Horse riding, game drives, bush walks, working ranch visit, tennis, picnics, sundowners, massages, bush dinners, helicopter rides, visits to the Mokogodo Maasai villages
- Facilities:Swimming pool, horses, clay tennis court, games room, satellite television, table tennis room, boules
- Weather:Warm days and cool nights with daytime temperatures between 24-28°C. Rains are to be expected twice a year in November (house closed) and late March to the end of May. These generally comprise of clear days punctuated by short heavy rain storms.
- Children:Welcome and babysitting can be arranged upon request. There are two children’s rooms.