Set in 20-acre verdant gardens within the walls of the Old Medina, moments from the famous Jamaa El Fna Square and Koutoubia Mosque, La Mamounia is the grande dame of Marrakech, a legendary Moroccan palace that offers an ideal escape away from the hectic pace of the medina. Voted best Urban Hotel in the World 2013 by Conde Nast Traveler, this enchanting retreat in Morocco is 90 years old and has attracted some of the world’s best-known historical figures and celebrities from Winston Churchill to Nelson Mandela.
Recently renovated, the hotel’s architecture and décor is a unique combination of traditional Moorish opulence and contemporary luxury and comfort. Children are welcomed and interconnecting rooms are available. Babysitters can also be arranged.
The hotel’s four signature restaurants, two of which have been awarded Michelin stars, feature authentic Moroccan, French and Italian cuisine in intimate settings. Highlights include the lavish Le Marocain, where you can choose between a traditional or contemporary menu, dining by candlelight on L’Italien’s terrace, and the decadent Sunday Brunch served in the Poolside Pavilion, which is a must. Each restaurant has an equally impressive bar area to match.
La Mamounia offers 209 elegant and sophisticated rooms and suites, designed to maximise comfort and luxury, with opulent décor and plush furnishings. Some rooms have their own terrace or balcony. Individually designed signature suites are the epitome of luxury and there are 3 magnificent three-bedroom riads with a dining room, private terrace and a private swimming pool.
The hotel provides the ideal base from which to explore the palaces, gardens and souks of the historical city of Marrakech, and the staff will happily arrange a guide to accompany you. Other activities include hot-air ballooning over the Atlas Mountains and visiting a traditional Berber village.
Escape the bustling city and relax in the 2500 square meters Spa with indoor pool and numerous health and well-being treatments, do a workout in the fitness pavilion, play tennis on the 2 clay courts or golf at a nearby course, or take a dip in the heated outdoor pool.
La Mamounia Information
- Location:15 minute drive from Marrakech Airport.
- Accommodation:135 rooms, 71 suites and 3 riads, some with terraces/balconies.
- Facilities: Four restaurants, two Michelin starred, “L’Italien by Don Alfonso and Le Français by Jean-Pierre Vigato”, outdoor heated swimming pool, 5 bars, fitness centre, three hammams, 2500 square meters spa, tennis or golf nearby, open air massage.
- Activities: Spa treatments, shopping and cultural tours nearby.
- Weather:Marrakech is sunny throughout the year, the best time to go is from April to June but also September and October, as well as Christmas. From December to February there is a chance of rain.
- Children:Children are welcomed. There are interconnecting rooms and babysitting on request.