Eastern Cape, South Africa
One of four spectacular safari lodges on the Kwandwe Private Game Reserve on the Eastern Cape of South Africa, the Great Fish River Lodge sits on a steep bank overlooking the river after which it is named.
Two hours by car from Port Elizabeth airport, Kwandwe can be accessed by self-drive or by private aircraft.
With just nine suites, Great Fish River Lodge is exclusive and effortlessly luxurious, yet its ethos is dedicated to appreciation and protection of its environment and resident wildlife. The lodge is not fenced off, and wraparound viewing decks lead from the main lodge’s dining and sitting rooms and the bar. Long wooden walkways, stone walls and thatch roofs all aim to bring the outside in, and the colour scheme is natural and earthy.
After a day spent on safari around the pristine reserves of the private 54,000 acre Kwandwe estate, let your poolside butler back at the Great Fish River Lodge serve you a sundowner in your private plunge pool or on your own veranda. Eat your evening meal on your private deck, around the fire in the enclosed ‘boma’, or in the dining room.
Kwandwe safaris provide the opportunity to view big game on foot, to monitor rhino, and to spot the rare South African National Bird, the Blue Crane. Meanwhile, kudu and otter frolic in the Great Fish River below your deck.
Malaria-free, the Kwandwe Private Game Reserve is an excellent safari location for families, with children aged over 12 made very welcome with a programme of tailored activities from Great Fish River Lodge.
Kwandwe Great Fish River Lodge Information
- Location:Garden Route, Eastern Cape, 1hr 45min drive from Port Elizabeth International Airport.
- Accommodation:9 Suites with private plunge pools.
- Facilities:Bar, Internet facilities, swimming pool, library.
- Activities:Walking safaris, game drives, animal tracking experience, cultural tours, guided walks, scenic flights, historial tours.
- Weather:All year round, best season September to March when it is hot, sunny and dry. From April to August it cools down with some rain.
- Children:Aged 12 and over are welcome.