Situated close to Meru in Samburu within Shaba National Reserve, Joy’s Camp is Kenya’s most exclusive game reserve. Named after renowned author of Born Free and early conservationist Joy Adamson, this luxury boutique eco-camp combines nomadic Boran tribal traditions with modern safari chic. It will appeal to adventurous travellers seeking a unique and unforgettable wilderness experience in a stunning location. Children are welcome although there are no specific facilities available except for babysitting.
Shaded by huge acacias and overlooking a watering hole, Joy’s camp is peaceful and romantic. Ten spacious and airy tented suites are beautifully appointed with lavish furnishings, elegant en suite bathrooms, all modern amenities and large verandas offering magnificent views of the reserve.
Dining at Joy’s Camp is a wonderful gastronomic experience. Start the day with a bush breakfast, enjoy a delicious lunch as you watch animals grazing at the waterhole and later indulge in a romantic candlelit after night falls.
Joy’s Camp is the only camp operating in the Shaba National Reserve so guests have the whole reserve to themselves. Head out on thrilling game drives in open vehicles for the chance to spot elephant, buffalo and leopard as well as all sorts of other fascinating wildlife; go on guided walks along the river gorge; try your hand at painting; or cool off in the inviting pool as you admire the views. At the end of the day, relax with a sundowner as you watch the spectacular sunset or ease tired legs with a massage.
The camp can also arrange visits to local villages and to the Magado Crater. Joy Adamson’s works and memories are preserved in a small museum within the camp.
Joys Camp Information
- Location: 5 hour 45 minutes from Nairobi Airport
- Accommodation: 7 double bedrooms, 3 twin bedrooms
- Activities: Game drives, guided walks, painting, dining alfresco, spa, visit to nomadic communities, visit to Magado Crater, visit to Shaba National Reserve,
- Facilities: Spa, 100m sq tented bedrooms, oasis, swimming pool, massage, shop
- Weather: The best time to visit is from June to October, when there is less rain.
- Children: Welcome
- Price Guide: From USD 325 per night for a tent, per pax.