On the peninsula of St. Jean Cap Ferrat, France the iconic Royal-Riviera hotel is a proud and grandiose monument to the turn-of-the-century popularity and glitz of the Cote d’Azur.
Which is not to say that it is old-fashioned or out of touch; not at all. Originally constructed as a hotel-residence for British aristocracy in 1904, the building was entirely overhauled and reclaimed in 1999, and is now a perfect combination of history and modernity.
The hotel’s Belle Epoque palace facade, which brings to mind other grande dame hotels such as Rio’s Copacabana Palace, overlooks its own large outdoor swimming pool, the beautifully landscaped gardens, and the Mediterranean sea beyond.
Of the Royal-Riviera’s 94 rooms and suites, 78 are in the main building and the remainder in the separate Villa Orangerie, which sits in the hotel’s extensive gardens. In the main building, all but the mountain view room category have garden and sea vistas. In Villa Orangerie, rooms overlook the swimming pool and/or the gardens.
Very unusually for St. Jean Cap Ferrat, he Royal-Riviera has its own private sandy beach – in fact, sand levels are regularly topped up. Alongside sunbathing and relaxation under the striped parasols, water sports and swimming lessons for children are also available.
A wellness centre contains sauna and steam rooms and gym machines.
The Royal-Riviera’s La Table du Royal restaurant has a Michelin-starred chef overseeing it, and a traditional Mediterranean menu. Outside, La Pergola serves salads, grills and local specialities on a poolside terrace, and the Deck, in the middle of the gardens, is a beautiful spot for afternoon tea or an early evening drink.
Hotel Royal Riviera Information
- Location: About a 25 minute drive from Nice International Airport
- Accomodation: 94 Rooms and Suites
- Facilities: Restaurants, bars, private garden, wellness centre, fitness centre, outdoor heated swimming pool, private sandy beach and nautical activities (May – Sept), boutique
- Activities: Visit Villa Kerylos and Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild, Beach and Water sports
- Weather: Good all-year round
- Children: Very Special Welcome for Children. VIP treatment with guide and personalised courtesy gifts, parents can share a room with their child under age 14 at no extra charge, cribs are available free of charge and connecting-room solutions possible upon request.