This luxury country lodge is located near Hella in a remote part of southern Iceland overlooking Hekla volcano. Hotel Ranga is an hour from Reykjavik.
Offering unrivalled service, warm hospitality and outstanding cuisine, this boutique lodge will appeal to adventurous travelers seeking a secluded and relaxing escape in an enchanting setting, from where you can watch volcanoes explode and see the famed Northern Lights. Its quirky style is part of its charm.
Hotel Ranga provides 51 tastefully furnished and comfortable rooms and suites across three categories. Each room features simple country-style décor and all-modern amenities, and offers spectacular views across the river or volcano. Most rooms also come with a Jacuzzi and some also have balconies. Individually designed suites, themed after each of the seven continents, are wonderfully extravagant and include lavish bathrooms. Antarctica and Africa are the most striking.
Dining at Hotel Ranga is a culinary adventure. The acclaimed gourmet restaurant overlooks East Ranga River, one of Iceland’s finest salmon rivers. Modern Nordic cuisine with a Mediterranean twist is prepared using the freshest seasonal ingredients
The location of the hotel makes it a superb spot from which to view aurora borealis and also for stargazing from its observatory. It also makes the ideal base from which to explore the region’s delights including the Icelandic highlands, glaciers, volcanoes, fishing villages, waterfalls and historic sights. Head out on a jeep tour, go bird watching, experience the thrill of dog sledding or discover spectacular caves. Other activities include river rafting, scuba diving, whale watching or scenic flights over Mount Hekla.
Hotel Ranga is a member of Great Hotels of the World
Lightfoot Travel Tip: The world-renowned Christmas Buffet (available November to December) is not to be missed.
Hotel Ranga Information
- Location: 2 hours’ drive from Keflavik Airport
- Accommodation: 51 Rooms and Suites
- Activities: Stargazing from its observatory, jeep tours, bird watching, dog sledding, discover spectacular caves, river rafting, scuba diving, whale watching, scenic flights over Mount Hekla, explore Icelandic highlands, glaciers, volcanoes, fishing villages, waterfalls and historic sights,
- Facilities: Restaurant, Bar, Jacuzzi
- Weather: Best time to visit is from June to September
- Children: Welcome
- Price Guide: From USD 250 for one night in a Standard Double Room, for two pax