This beachfront Art Deco mansion in Juan-les-Pins, between Nice and Monaco, was once the summer home of American author F Scott Fitzgerald and his wife when they vacationned in France.
Like other American literary expatriates including Ernest Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald spent time on the French Riviera in the mid twenties, staying for the summer of 1925 at Villa Saint-Louis, as the Belles Rives was then called. Some say that it was one of the places that inspired his last novel; Tender Is The Night.
Today, the hotel has just 43 rooms, all with balconies, most of which overlook the sea. Their style is eclectic Art Deco, with loud animal prints sitting comfortably alongside Venetian mirrors and traditional paintings. Throughout the Hotel Belles Rives, the vibe is one of nostalgia, with cane outdoor furniture bringing to mind the roaring twenties, and many of the hotel’s public areas firmly rooted in the thirties.
The Belles Rives has its own private beach and pier, with its own waterfront restaurant, the Plage Belles Rives. Boat rental and water skiing can be arranged from the pontoon, as can beachside massages. For further spa and fitness facilities, including a heated swimming pool, guests are invited to the nearby Hotel Juana.
The Hotel Belles Rives has a gourmet restaurant; La Passagère, with a spectacular view over the bay of Juan-les-Pins from its terrace. Inside, chandeliers hang above gilded columns and 1930s frescoes. The Piano-Bar Fitzgerald has a club atmosphere and hosts regular wine tasting evenings.
The Hotel Belles Rives is very welcoming to families and has a programme of Kids Club activities, as well as offering water skiing and pedalo hire from its beach.
Hotel Belles Rives Information
- Location: A 30 minute drive from Nice Cote d’Azure International Airport
- Accommodation: 43 Rooms and Suites
- Facilities: Beach, 2 Restaurants, Bar
- Activities: Go visit some local attractions such as the Antibes Cathedral, Plage du Gray d’Albion, Marche du Film. Drive along the coast all the way to Monaco and discover authentic Southern French villages. Stop by Grasse and learn more about the perfume industry.
- Weather: Good all-year round. Enjoy beach activities during the summer months, and head to the ski slopes in the winter, which are only 1h30 away.
- Children: Welcome.