Wellington, South Africa
Grand Dédale is a recently renovated Cape Dutch farm at the foot of Bainskloof Pass, five minutes from Wellington, and only half an hour’s drive from Franschhoek, Stellenbosch and Paarl.
This elegant but traditional country house, dating back to the early 1700s enables guests to enjoy an elegant home-from-home experience amid breathtaking winelands scenery and mountain views. Formerly the private residence of the owners of the Doolhof Wine Estate, Grand Dédale is set on 380 hectares (939 acres) of vineyard and forest, and occupies the end plot of the valley, so no passers-by or interruptions here.
Three loft rooms and three suites in the Manor House are joined by a separate thatched stone cottage. Fresh flowers and fruit and the highest quality linens come as standard in all rooms, and each has its own personality. Outside, vast landscaped gardens contain a swimming pool and spa room.
As you’d expect from a property in the Cape Winelands, Grand Dédale places considerable emphasis on food, whether a basket of picnic lunch on the estate or a four course table d’hôte menu in the Country House by night. According to the weather, take your aperitif in front of the fire in the library or on the veranda, or perhaps request a gourmet braai.
As well as trips around the surrounding wine routes and the winery and vineyard of the Doolhof Estate itself, Grand Dédale is ideal for hikers, fishermen, mountain bikers and horse riders, who can enjoy the numerous trails leading around the valley, the mountains and the rivers.
Grand Dedale Information
- Location: Wellington, 45-minute drive from Cape Town International Airport.
- Accomodation: 6 suites in the Manor house and 1 free standing thatched cottage.
- Facilities: TV lounge with international channels, library, spa room, wifi, gourmet braai facilities, salt water pool, concierge service.
- Activities: Mountain biking, horse riding, clay pigeon shooting, river rafting, golf, hot air ballooning, trout fishing, hiking.
- Weather: All year round, best season September to March when it is hot, sunny and dry. From April to August it cools down with some rain.
- Children: Children over the age of 12 are welcomed at Grand Dédale.