With 116 rooms, a range of restaurants and bars, and an extensive Wellness Centre, the Gran Meliá Rome calls itself a luxury urban resort. This is the flagship property of the Spanish group Meliá Hotels International.
While certainly not a boutique option, this is an excellent choice for guests who appreciate the convenience of having superb facilities on-site.
Yet the Gran Meliá Rome has plenty of history too. During the construction of the hotel, archaeological remains were discovered of what is believed to have been Villa Agrippina, home to Emperor Nero’s mother, hence its name. Some of the relics found are displayed in the hotel.
The Gran Meliá Rome sits on the banks of the River Tiber in the UNESCO protected district of Gianicolo, close to Trastevere and a short walk from Vatican City and Piazza Navona.
For a highly personalised and exclusive service, opt for RedLevel rooms, which come complete with the Gran Meliá Rome Red Glove Service, which combines the concept of the white glove with that of the red carpet; traditional service with a touch of glamour.
Choose fine dining at the hotel’s Viva Voce restaurant, or a drink and a snack in the Liquid Garden, in an orange grove alongside the outdoor swimming pool. For more evening glamour, take a cocktail or sample the wine list in the hotel’s Nectar Bar.
Gran Melia Villa Agrippina Information
- Location:Rome, about 35 minutes drive from Leonardo Da Vinci-Flumicino Airport.
- Accomodation:116 Rooms.
- Facilities:Restaurants, bars, YHI Wellness Centre including sauna, steam bath, sensorial showers, ice machine, and vitality pool, outdoor swimming pool, gardens, Business and Convention Centre with 3 meeting rooms.
- Activities:Private yoga lessons, massage and wellness treatments, visit city attractions such as Vatican Museum, Colosseum and the Spanish Steps, various sightseeing tours.
- Weather:Summers (from June to September) are hot and dry with temperatures often soaring to 37°C. Spring (March to June) and early autumn (September and October) are the best times to visit, with lovely blue skies and mild temperatures. November and December are the two wettest months.
- Children:Welcome. Family rooms are available.