Mara River, Kenya
What once used to be hunting grounds, exclusively reserved for Kenya’s colonial Governors and their royal visitors almost a century ago, today sets new standards of tented camp luxury.
Nestled in a peaceful setting, in Northern Masai Mara, Governors’ Camp combines a traditional safari feel with an unmistakable touch of luxury. The camp offers the perfect base from which to observe the constant flow of wildlife throughout the year and especially during the months of July through October, when Mara becomes a backdrop for the great migration of thousands of wildebeest.
Its 37 tented camps; set amongst the trees along the Mara River, have unrivalled views over the plains and come with en-suite bathrooms that have flush loos, bidets and showers. If you’re a honeymooner, the privately located Justus Suite as well as tent 37, boasting incredible views over the Mara plains and its wildlife, are both ideal spots.
Spend your time here exploring the herds that roam free; embark on a walking safari with an experienced naturalist in tow or take a balloon flight over the wide plains of the Masai Mara or go on a flying safari to Lake Victoria and end your adventure with a delicious champagne breakfast in the middle of nowhere.
Governors’ Camp Information
- Location: On the banks of the Mara River in the Masai Mara Game Reserve, Kenya.
- Accommodation: 37 tents (74 beds), including family suites and honeymoon suites.
- Activities: Game viewing, balloon safari, game walks, culture walks at nearby Masai Village, camping on Lake Victoria, bird watching, boat rides.
- Facilities: Open bar, dining tent, room service, curio shop.
- Weather: Mid July to late October are the best months to travel with the long rains during April and May and the short rains in November.
- Children: Welcome.