Housed in an attractive neoclassical mansion which was privately owned until its conversion in 1998 into a hotel, Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa in the Johannesburg suburb of Sandton has just forty rooms.
The property was owned by the Oppenheimer family until 1986. In spite of its location in South Africa’s business capital, Fairlawns retains the feel of a stately private home, with a real and unexpected feeling of serenity thanks to its extensive gardens.
Mature trees and plentiful birdsong throughout the grounds of Fairlawns contribute to the sensation of being in a private park, while high ceilings, stone floors and working fireplaces make the interiors feel equally grand, yet homely.
Eat breakfast in the conservatory-style restaurant overlooking the lawns and the pool, a view which is shared by many of the rooms at Fairlawns. 20 Grand Chateau suites, six Villa suites and 12 Courtyard suites – along with the three-bedroom Presidential Residence – are individually designed in a classic European style, with elegant antique furniture and a mix of sophistication and comfort.
Take tea or a cocktail on the terrace or perhaps on your balcony, relax around the outdoor swimming pool, and treat yourself in the Balinese-style Fairlawns Spa, complete with bamboo groves and gardens.
The wine list at Fairlawns has won several accolades and the terrace restaurant aims to be elegantly smart yet relaxing and romantic, with an international menu and a very flexible and friendly approach to service.
Fairlawns Boutique Hotel is a charming and memorable place in which to make the most of your time in Johannesburg.
Fairlawns Boutique Hotel Information
- Location: Sandton, Johannesburg, 25mins drive to O.R. Tambo International Airport.
- Accomodation: 12 Courtyard suites (Classic suites), 6 Villa suites (Superior suites), 20 Grande Chateau suites (Deluxe suites), 1 Presidential Residence which comprises 3 ensuite bedrooms
- Facilities: Balinese Spa Villa, conference, centre.
- Activities: Massage therapies, facials, grooming treatments.
- Weather: Johannesburg gets warm and humid during the summer months from October to February (average around 25 C) and most of the rainfall comes during this time. Because of the heat, the storms can get quite spectacular. Winters in Johannesburg are moderate, with dry sunny days and chilly nights.
- Children: Welcome but children under 12 years are not allowed in the Spa without adult supervision.