Bantry Bay, Cape Town
A Relais & Chateaux property, Ellerman House overlooks the Atlantic from Cape Town’s upmarket residential suburb of Bantry Bay. With eleven rooms, two suites and a five-room villa, this luxurious hotel occupies a former stately home with over an acre of grounds. Breathtaking views sweep across as far as Robben Island from its vantage point high up on the slopes of Lion’s Head mountain.
Walking distance from Camps Bay and Clifton beaches, and ten minutes from the Victoria & Albert seafront, Ellerman House is ideal for those who want easy access to the heart of Cape Town, without necessarily staying right amongst its hustle and bustle.
The hotel is privately owned and does retain the feel of an elegant colonial mansion, complete with an impressive art collection, open to hotel guests. On hot days, tea or cocktails can be taken on a shady veranda, and cool can be sought in the hotel’s library.
All guests at Ellerman House have access to a 24-hour pantry, stocked with homemade treats and snacks, while the hotel’s sommelier and chef await your instructions as to what you feel like drinking and eating. Organic local produce dominates the daily-changing restaurant menu, which has an emphasis on modern European-style cuisine.
The tiered gardens and the solar-heated lap pool overlook the sea, while surely one of the most appealing gyms also provides sensational views from its machines through floor-to-ceiling windows. The Ellerman House Spa has three treatment rooms, a sauna and steam room.
Ellerman House Information
- Location: Situated in the exclusive suburb of Bantry Bay, 10mins drive to V&A waterfront, 5mins walk to Clifton and Camps Bay beaches, 30mins drive from Cape Town International Airport.
- Accomodation: 11 rooms, 2 suites and a private villa.
- Facilities: Fully-equipped gym, lap pool, library, spa, guest pantry.
- Activities: Ellerman House art tour, winelands tours, Cape Peninsula tour, Robben Island tour
- Weather: The best months are from September to April when it is hot, sunny and dry. The months of May to August tend to have greater rainfall and lower temperatures.
- Children: Children over the age of 14 are welcome at Ellerman House.