Experience dug-out style living within sandstone surrounds in the heart of Coober Pedy.
The Desert Cave Hotel’s rooms all have en suite bathrooms and you can choose to stay underground or above ground. Sleeping underground is a unique experience. Quiet, cool, dark and airy – the rooms are spacious with high ceilings. Most visitors say that sleeping underground gives them the best night’s sleep they have ever had!
Facilities include a restaurant and a café as well as quality hotel services such as an in-house Laundromat, WiFi in every room, in-house movies and tea & coffee making facilities.
The hotel is a fantastic base to get a real insight to life in Coober Pedy, which takes its name from the Aboriginal word “kupa” (uninitiated man or white man) and “piti” (hole). The people of Coober Pedy are exposed to extremely high temperatures most of the year, given the towns outpost close to Australia’s red centre, and as a result a whole underground world of bars, restaurants, homes and even a church have evolved over the years.
The town currently produces most of the world’s opals from 70 opal fields covering an area of 4,954 square kilometres. With veteran guides, venture down a former working mine, and try your hand at “noodling” (fossiking) for opals.
An itinerary encompassing Coober Pedy is a most unique experience, visitors to Australia rarely even have it on their radar – you’ll be one of the very few in the know.
Desert Cave Hotel Information
- Location: 10min drive from Coober Pedy Airport, 2 hour flight from Adelaide
- Accommodation: 50 suites including 19 underground
- Activities: Vist opal fields, active and former opal mines and try your hand at fossiking, day tours to the Painted Desert including the Moon Plains and the Breakaways, tours of the town including being welcomed into underground homes.
- Facilities: Swimming pool, underground shopping arcade, convention facilities, underground bar and games room, restaurant, cafe
- Weather: Typical of a semi desert climate, the days (16 to 20° C) are mild to warm but the desert nights are cold. Between April and October the weather is very pleasant. From November to March the weather warms up and summer temperatures can range from 35° C to the 45° C in the shade, with occasional dust storms.
- Children: Children welcome, baby-sitting available on request