If you’re going to do Capri properly… stay at the Capri Palace. While Italy’s original island retreat, favoured holiday spot since Roman times, is now home to a number of seriously stylish places to stay, it’s still the Palace that continues to house the really big names, and sets the gold standard for glamour.
Located in the Anacapri area, the Capri Palace Hotel & Spa removes itself – graciously and elegantly, of course – from the buzz of Capri town, and makes the most of the breathtaking views from this, one of the highest parts of the island.
While being the island’s grande-dame among hotels, and having been open since the sixties, the Capri Palace’s style is sleek, modern Mediterranean, with vaulted ceilings and open colonnades hung with billowing linens keeping everything cool, in both senses. Tonino Cacace, son of the hotel’s original owners, displays pieces from his contemporary art collection throughout the hotel and in its White Musuem.
Most of the Capri Palace’s 80 rooms and suites have beautiful views of the Bay of Naples, and a handful have their own swimming pool and garden. The Presidential Suite is dedicated to Gwyneth Paltrow, but even if you don’t go for that one, your room will have star quality.
The island’s only Michelin-starred restaurant is here, and in fact L’Olivo has two.
Make sure you pack your best Jackie O sunglasses for cliff top sunbathing around the pool or sunset cocktails at the hotel’s private Il Riccio beach club, alongside the famous Blue Grotto.
The Capri Beauty Farm is a holistic spa employing a large team of doctors, therapists, beauticians, dieticians and chefs.
Capri Palace Hotel & Spa Information
- Location: Near the Amalfi Coast, the island is reachable by boat, ferry or helicopter. From Naples International Airport take a 30 min taxi to Molo Beverello then transer to Capri using boat, ferry or helicopter.
- Accommodation: 78 Rooms and Suites.
- Facilities: Spa, 2 Restaurants with michelin stars, Bar.
- Activities: Visit the White Museum, Go for a private boat ride.
- Weather: Summers are usually in the 30-40°C range. In the winter it can get a bit chilly averaging around 10°C. Spring and early autumn have the best weather with mild but still warm temperatures. From December to March, you can expect plenty of rain.
- Children: Welcome.