Borana Ranch is situated 17 miles north of the equator and 6000ft above sea level. With panoramic views over the Samangua Valley and the Lewa Plains to the Ngare Ndare Forest and Mount Kenya beyond, the lodge is set on a hillside overlooking a lake which attracts heards of elephants, buffalo and often prides of lion.
Borana lodge has 8 thatched cottages, each unique in style but all comfortable and cosy, with fireplaces and private verandas. The lodge looks over the Samangua Valley with its own lake where elephants love to swim. The sitting and dining rooms are within the main lodge. Log fires, rosewood tables and snug sofas create the atmosphere for entertaining evenings. There is a stunning horizon pool, looking out at the heards of elephants down by the lake.
Borana is famous for its horse riding adventures, but there are also Land Rovers for game drives with our intrepid guides. Sam Taylor leads walks into the bush and it is also possible to ride down the escarpment on mountain bikes. Enjoy breakfasts with Rose and Tony Dyer to catch up on family history of the ranch. This experience is all about picnics, sundowners, massages and bush dinners. To up the adventure you can go cattle ranching with Michael Dyer, fly-fishing on the mountain, or take helicopter trips around Mt. Kenya and into the Northern Frontier.
Borana Ranch Information
- Location: Laikipia, North Kenya
- Accommodation: 8 Thatched Cottages
- Activities: Night & day game drives, guided walks, horse riding, mountain biking, cultural visits, riding and fishing excursions to Lake Rutunda & Lake Alice on Mount Kenya, helicopter fishing on Mount Kenya or Lake Turkana
- Facilities: Swimming pool, masseuse
- Weather: March to May rain is expected but open all year round
- Children: All ages are welcome