Reputed to be the oldest hotel in Venice, the Baglioni Luna is steeped in history and you may well feel that you are staying in a living museum.
The palazzo dates to 1118, and throughout the years has housed a convent and even been a shelter for the Knights Templar, before becoming an aristocratic palace.
The site of the hotel is just in front of St Mark’s Square, and sits on one of the smaller side canals which flow from Venice’s Grand Canal, itself only a few blocks away.
Just over 100 rooms at the Luna Hotel Baglioni are divided into 68 rooms and 36 suites, spread over five floors. Some have views of the lagoon, others of the Royal Gardens or the bay of San Marco.
The interior design at the Baglioni Luna perfectly complements the building’s grand style and history, with bedrooms and public areas filled with original period furniture, watercolours on the walls, and Murano chandeliers overhead.
Surely one of the most spectacular rooms is the Salone Marco Polo, whose walls and ceiling are entirely covered in 18th century frescoes from pupils of famous Venetian painter Giovanni Tiepolo. Breakfast is served here, although it is unlikely you will be able to concentrate on your plate.
The Baglioni Luna’s award-winning Canova Restaurant is a formal and traditional affair of deep, crisp linen, with Venetian and Italian delicacies on the menu.
For a more relaxed ambience, ideal for afternoon tea after a busy morning’s sightseeing, Caffè Baglioni overlooks the Royal Gardens and the peaceful side canal which runs alongside the hotel.
Baglioni Luna Hotel Information
- Location:Venice, 15 mins drive to Venezia Marco Polo international airport.
- Accommodation:104 Rooms and Suites.
- Facilities:Restaurant, bar-lounge, banquet facilities, wifi.
- Activities:Recreational activities such as paragliding, snorkeling, horse riding, golf, volleyball, hiking, biking at nearby Lido Island.
- Weather:December to March sees the heaviest rains while July and August are the warmest months with average maximum daily temperatures of 27° Celsius.
- Children:Welcome. Children’s programs available.