Waterberg, South Africa
Located in a natural amphitheatre, Ants Nest specialises in famiy safaris and offers a classic, relaxed, African atmosphere. Built on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Waterberg, the property has wide verandahs where it’s possible to view the wide variety of game that frequents the waterhole in front, where horses and dogs abound.
There is a stylish warmth to this colonial house that uses classic furniture fashioned from local fabrics, timber and stone. The property is comprised of six luxurious en-suite bedrooms with enormous 7-foot-wide beds, sunken bathtubs and rain showers. Ants Nest also featuers a 15-metre swimming pool in the garden, perfect for a splash at the end of an active day. The pool is heated all year so it’s ideal for children no matter what the season. Extensive lawns filled with indigenous plants surround the pool, and there is a wonderfully comfortable chill-out spot with huge sofa beds and a thatched roof where you can relex during the heat of the day.
The service and homeliness of Ants Nest are what really set it apart from the rest. Guests arrive as guests and leave as friends. There are no set wake up times or strict itineraries guests have to adhere to – you can do what you want, when you want.
This is the perfect safari for children, and can be quite a life-changing experience. Their unique policy allows children of all ages to join their parents on all game viewing activities, so you can witness their first wildlife encounters. There wonderful ponies on the property that cater to both novice and experienced riders, as well as “bug walks” with guides, a trampoline, sand pits and a selection of toys and books.
Ants Nest Information
- Location: Waterberg Plateau, Limpopo Province, 3-hours drive north of Johannesburg International Airport, 3.5-hours drive east of Madikwe and 5-hours drive west of the Kruger National Park.
- Accomodation: 6 rooms (Sleeps 12).
- Facilities: Library, curio shop, heated pool.
- Activities: Horse-riding, game drives, guided walks, mountain biking, massage.
- Weather: November to March – the days can get quite warm but it is a dry heat. June to August – days are warm, evenings and early mornings very cold with average early morning temperatures 5-12 degrees.
- Children: Welcome and extremely well catered for. Safari experiences, guided bug walks, heated swimming pool, toys and games, pony rides.