Okavango Delta, Botswana
Ride with giraffes, track buffalo across the delta and watch the big 5 in action, on this highly personalised riding adventure.
The African Horseback Safaris is based at the western side of Botswana’s Okavango Delta – the largest inland delta in the world and a magnet for the wildlife who depend on the delta’s life-giving waters. Open all year to experienced riders and their non-riding companions, the Macatoo Camp borders the famous Moremi Game Reserve.
The Hemingway-styled exclusive camp fuses the creature comforts of modern day luxury with the spirit of the African Bush. Each of the 7 spacious twin bedded tents are en-suite and fitted with a private veranda for bird watching and game viewing. The camp also offers a plunge pool and hammocks, perfect for afternoon siestas.
The main attraction of the African Horseback Safaris is the joy of riding good horses over diverse landscapes dotted with game. Riding is varied, sometimes taking you on quiet walks and other times cantering you through water meadows along side galloping giraffe and lechwe. The horses you’ll ride are well-mannered Thoroughbreds, Namibian Hanoverian and Kalahari-Arab crossbreeds, ranging in size from 14 to 17 hands. Other than horseback riding, the camp also offers 4X4s for night game-watching as well as boat safaris.
African Horseback Safaris Information
- Location: western side of the Okavango Delta
- Accommodation: 7 large twin-tents (sleeps a maximum of 14)
- Facilities: mess tent, private pool, mobile fly camp
- Activities: riding safaris, bird walks, mokoro rides, game drives, night spotting, seasonal boating, canoeing and fishing,
- Weather: flood waters arrive in May- June (varies each year) and recede in early October.
- Children: children welcome (children 12 years and over are allowed to ride but they must be strong, competent riders)