Galle, Sri Lanka
Right in the centre of Galle, 20 Middle Street is an exquisite and luxurious private oasis amidst the town’s gentle buzz.
Adamant that the charm of the original Dutch house should prevail, the present owner has managed to keep the rooms large and airy, aided by high-ceilings, original teak windows, shutters and light, terrazzo floors. With four en-suite bedrooms, the views over the World Heritage Galle Fort are second to none.
Furnished elegantly and with taste, this property is both comfortable and luxurious. It is the perfect villa to rent and the ideal location from which to explore the beautiful coast of Sri Lanka.
The understated yet consistently smart interior design features sweeping staircases and numerous terraces with shaded and sun-drenched seating, depending on how you feel. The gardens are lush and well tended – the perfect place to wander through, breathing in the frangipani and Jurassic ginger flowers.
There is an elegant Library and a Games Room with a snooker table and plasma screen, for those who need more entertainment. There is Wifi throughout the house. This is more suited to an adult holiday, a chance to leave the kids at home with the babysitters and enjoy a tranquil week away in the sun!
The house is looked after by a wonderful team – Janaka, Preethi and Jayanath, who will see to your every need during your stay. Preethi does the cooking, choosing from a good range of western and Sri Lankan dishes.
20 Middle Street Information
- Location: Galle, 2h30min to Colombo International Airport
- Accomodation: 4 rooms (Sleeps 8)
- Staff: House staff including chef
- Facilities: Plunge pool, games room with pool table, flat screen TV/DVD with surround sound, wifi, well-stocked library
- Activities: Swimming, surfing, scuba diving, bike rides, massage, tea estate and factory tour
- Weather: Months of December to April are the best time to visit, the monsoon season is June to August and October/November.
- Children: Not suitable