There is much to explore and discover on the western most European country. Portugal is home to a number of charming towns which you will have the opportunity to explore as well as the gorgeous Douro Valley, famed for its scenery and wineries. And of course, how could we possibly forget Porto, renowned for its wine and colourful architecture. Your trip then ends in Lisbon, the country’s capital, where there is much to discover within and on the outskirts.
Day 1: Arrival and wine tasting
Upon arrival into Porto, you will be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation for check-in.
Take some time to relax before heading out to the famous Port Wine Cellars in the afternoon. Enjoy a wine tasting as well as a tour of Taylor’s, a 300 year old family-owned wine producer in the region.
Stay: Hotel Infante Sagres
Day 2: Guided tour of Porto
Once you have had breakfast, your guide will meet you at your hotel and take you on a tour of Porto. Start off in the historic center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, where you will discover narrow, labyrinth-like pathways and charming traditional houses. The Gold Church, built in the 14th century, is the city’s most prominent Gothic monument which you will also visit.
After lunch, you will make your way to Guimarães, another UNESCO World Heritage Site, where you will explore the Braganca Palace, once home to Dukes and Kings and now the official Presidential home in the North of the country.
Then, you will make your way towards Douro, where you will spend the next 2 nights.
Day 3: Exploring the Douro region
Start off your day with a visit of Lamego City, hidden away in the mountains where Moors and Christians once fought ferocious battles over it. Next, you will have lunch at famed Chef Rui Paula’s DOC Restaurant, located on the river bank. Savour some local delicacies as you enjoy the view.
After lunch, you will make your way to Pinhão where you will visit the villa and Quinta do Seixo, an ancient property home to a modern winery.
Day 4: From Douro to Obidos
Once you’ve had breakfast you will be driven to Coimbra, a historical city where countless important events took place, which you will learn more about during your visit.
After lunch, your next stop will be Batalha, where you will visit its fame battlefield. You will then arrive in Obidos, where you will spend the night
Stay: Pousada de Obidos
Day 5: From Obidos to Lisbon
Your first stop in the morning will be Casal Branco, a beautiful estate of winemakers and horse breeders. You will have the opportunity to learn and interact with the beautiful Lusitano Horse then visit the winery followed by a wine tasting and lunch.
Once you have had lunch, you will continue on to Lisbon, where you will have time to discover the city at leisure.
Stay: Bairro Alto
Day 6: Discovering Lisbon
After breakfast, your guide will meet you at your hotel and take you on a tour of the city, which will include the old town, Belem Tower and Jeronimos Monastery.
In the evening, enjoy a Fado music show whilst you dine.
Stay: Bairro Alto
Day 7: The outskirts of Lisbon
Lisbon has much to behold, and there is also much to explore on the city’s outskirts! Start off with Pena National Palace in Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, once the home of Kings and Prince, offering unique architecture.
On the way back to Lisbon, you will stop by to explore Cascais, a charming seaside village.
Stay: Bairro Alto
Day 8: Departure
You will have some time to stroll through the city in the morning before having to catch your return flight home.
|Day 1:||Arrival and wine tasting||Hotel Infante Sagres|
|Day 2:||Guided tour of Porto||Romaneira|
|Day 3:||Exploring the Douro region||Romaneira|
|Day 4:||From Douro to Obidos||Pousada de Obidos|
|Day 5:||From Obidos to Lisbon||Bairro Alto|
|Day 6:||Discovering Lisbon||Bairro Alto|
|Day 7:||The outskirts of Lisbon||Bairro Alto|
- Accommodation with daily breakfast
- Private transfer between destinations
- Private tours with English speaking guide
- Wine tasting at Quinta do Seixo
- 24 hour emergency contact
- International flights
- Personal expenses
- Entrance fees for monuments
- Travel insurance (please note that travel insurance is mandatory for all Lightfoot Travel holidays
From USD 4,173 per person based on two guests travelling
Notes on our prices
- This price guide provides you with a broad indication of how much to budget for your holiday.
- Prices are generally based on two people travelling together (unless stated otherwise) on a shared room basis.
- Prices can fluctuate depending on season, standard of accommodation, excursions selected (private versus shared) etc.
- This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant.
- Discovering Portugal’s charming towns
- Sampling superb wines and dining at famed DOC Restaurant
- Exploring Lisbon and its outskirts
From USD 4,173 per person