This is the perfect long weekend break.
Enjoy walking through the streets to see the French Colonial influence, and the comfort of the Sofitel Metropole Hotel is unmatched in Hanoi. Guests will enjoy trying some of the two integrated cuisines that are uniquely found there. Then head east to see the islands of Halong Bay. The drive can be bumpy and we recommend a two-night cruise to get further out and see the more remote sights. Return to Hanoi for an experimental dinner experience.
Day 1: Arrival in Hanoi
On arrival in Hanoi you will be met by a Lightfoot Travel representative and be taken by private transfer to the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hotel where you will spend the night. After checking in you have the rest of the day free at you own leisure to explore the city. Dating back to 1900s, the Sofitel Metropole has seen Hanoi through the ages, offering all its distinguished travellers the warmth of Vietnamese hospitality in luxurious European quarters. Top off the day with pampering your tastebuds – Vietnam’s French colonial past is distinct in the Metropole’s offering of fine French cuisine, the perfect setting for relaxing and socialising. The discerning culinary palate may also taste the latest in fusion dishes from around the world, created by head chef Andre Bosia.
Day 2: From Hanoi to Halong Bay
Wake up early this morning for breakfast before embarking on a 3-hour drive to Halong Bay. Over the next 3 days you will be able to experience the stunning scenery of all three beautiful bays in The Gulf of Tonkin and the amazing island of Cat Ba on board a private junk. Enjoy a biking tour through the rainforest on Cat Ba Island, follow your guide on a kayaking excursion in the hidden lagoons of Lan Ha Bay, or visit a peaceful floating village in Bai Tu Long Bay on a traditional rowing boat. Back onboard, re-energize yourself with tai chi, unwind on the sundeck or just pamper yourself in the Jacuzzi or with a Vietnamese massage.
Stay: Au Co Junk
Day 3: Halong Bay
Cat Ba Island is famous for its large national park, with more than half the island designated for the park. This island, far and away the largest in the Gulf of Tonkin, is covered by a dense rainforest home to numerous indigenous species as well as flora and fauna. The secluded village of Viet Hai, situated in the middle of this pristine environment, is easily accessible by a short walk or cycling trip. Bai Tu Long Bay, located a little further east of Halong Bay, is the most remote area of your voyage. The exceptional scale and variety of the geological rock formations in this area are sure to make this a future destination for cruising in the Gulf of Tonkin. A relaxing rowing boat tour through the floating village of Vung Vieng and cruising into the geological park of this bay will definitely be highlights of your trip.
Stay: Au Co Junk
Day 4: Halong Bay – Hanoi
Halong Bay, designated a UNESCO world heritage site for its limestone rock formations, is home to about 2,000 isles and islets of different shapes and sizes, creating a truly breathtaking seascape. At its heart is the highest concentration of limestone rocks in the area and caves and grottoes abound. One of the most beautiful is the Sung Sot (Surprise) Cave. Exceptional because of its size and the shapes which have been created by millions of years of erosion, the Surprise Cave is not to be missed. After docking your boat, you will be transferred by car back to Hanoi for an evening at the Sofitel Metropole Hotel.
Stay: Au Co Junk
Day 5: Departure Hanoi
After breakfast and check-out you will have the day to explore Hanoi. Please let us know if you would like us to include a tour or whether you would prefer to explore on your own. In the afternoon you will be taken by private transfer to Hanoi International airport for your departure flight.
* This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant.
|Day 1:||Arrival in Hanoi||Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi|
|Day 2:||From Hanoi to Halong Bay||Au Co Junk|
|Day 3:||Halong Bay||Au Co Junk|
|Day 4:||Halong Bay – Hanoi||Au Co Junk|
|Day 5:||Departure Hanoi|
- Accommodation with daily breakfast
- All meals aboard Au Co Junk
- All transfers and tours as indicated, with private car and English speaking guide
- Vietnam visa approval letter
- 24 hour emergency contact
- Visa stamping fee
- International flights
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Other meals where not mentioned in the program
- Hotel early check in / Late check out
- Overweight luggage
- Travel insurance (please note that this is requried for all Lightfoot Travel holidays)
From USD 1,119 per person based on two guests travelling
Notes on our prices
- This price guide provides you with a broad indication of how much to budget for your holiday.
- Prices are generally based on two people travelling together (unless stated otherwise) on a shared room basis.
- Prices can fluctuate depending on season, standard of accommodation, excursions selected (private versus shared) etc.
- This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant
- Yoga on board your cruise at dawn
- Floating between the high karst islands of Halong Bay
- Having a dinner experience in Hanoi’s french colonial history
From USD 1,119 per person