Rwanda is one in three places where you can observe the striking mountain gorillas in their natural habitat at Volcanoes National Park. Embark on an exhilarating trek, in the footsteps of the rare and critically endangered Mountain Gorillas. In addition to tracking mountain gorillas, you will also have the opportunity to explore the capital of Kigali.
Day 1: Arrival at Rwanda
Upon arrival at Kigali Airport, you will be met by a Lightfoot Travel representative and transferred to the V.I.P lounge for a welcome drink; in the meantime you will be assisted for immigration clearance.
Stay: Kigali Serena Hotel
Day 2: City Tour of Kigali
After breakfast, join your guide on a City Tour of Kigali – includes Memorial Centre and Crafts Centres.
The history of Rwanda dates back centuries, Kigali has been a part of it for a hundred years. Founded in 1907 as a German settlement, Kigali did not become the capital until Rwanda’s independence in 1962 when it replaced the colonial seat of power in Butare. Since then, the city has seen major economic development resulting in what it is today; a vibrant African city of 1 million with wide boulevards, an international airport, world-class hotels and restaurants, crafts & curio shops as well as a lively, cosmopolitan population. Visit the Kandt Museum, tour old Kigali and the Craft centres, visit the genocide memorial site where you learn about Rwanda’s history pre-colonial to 1994 genocide as well as other genocides in the world. Tour more and see the new developments; the recovery has been incredible, a true testament to humankind’s resilience.
Following a safari briefing over snack at a local restaurant, you will be transferred to your accommodation for the next two nights. Lake Kivu Serena Hotel is ideally located on a sandy beach, in the Rwandan resort town of Gisenyi, on the shores of Lake Kivu, the 6th largest lake in Africa. The nearby Virunga Volcanoes provide a spectacular backdrop on one side complimenting a panoramic view of the lake on the other. Accommodation comprises 66 air-conditioned rooms including 6 luxury suites, 23 family rooms and one room especially equipped for disabled guests. Other facilities include a boardroom, 3 conference rooms, a gym, outdoor swimming pool, tennis courts and a Water Sports Centre.
You have time to relax and enjoy some of the hotels facilities including a gym, outdoor swimming pool, 2 tennis courts and now; a Water Sports Centre, Windsurfing and Kayaking. Other options (some at extra charge) include boat-riding, swimming in the lake, hire a boat and visit the local fishing islands; or simply lie on the beach and be mesmerized.
Stay: Lake Kivu Serena
Day 3: Mountain Gorilla tracking in Volcanoes National Park
After an early breakfast, drive to the Volcanoes National Park to be allocated a gorilla tracking group. You will receive a briefing by your trackers then drive to the trail head for the start of an amazing adventure.
Our exhilarating trek, in the footsteps of the rare and critically endangered Mountain Gorillas, the largest living primate on earth, starts in the cultivated foothills of the Virungas with stirring views in all directions. Upon entering the national park, her paths littered with fresh spoor of the mountains’ elusive buffalo and elephant, trekkers will be immersed in the mysterious intimacy of the rainforest, alive with colorful bird calls, butterflies, etc. Through gaps in the canopy, the magnificent Virunga peaks, among the highest in Africa yet easily accessible, are glimpsed, beckoning an ascent.
Weaving through overhanging vines, moss-covered hagenia and giant lobelias that thrive in the tropical climate, our experienced trackers, they spent their entire lives in or close to this forest, soon bring us up close with the family.
Upon sighting the gorillas, you will stay with them for a magical hour as they go about their daily life, feeding, playing, resting; raising their young. Coming face to face with a giant silverback must truly be one of the greatest wildlife experiences on earth!
Stay: Lake Kivu Serena
Day 4: Departure
After breakfast, you will be transferred to the airport for your departure flight.
|Day 1:||Arrival at Rwanda||Kigali Serena Hotel|
|Day 2:||City Tour of Kigali||Lake Kivu Serena|
|Day 3:||Mountain Gorilla tracking in Volcanoes National Park||Lake Kivu Serena|
- All accommodation on a shared basis
- Meals as specified
- Excursions and transfers as included
- Services of the camp/lodge guides and staff
- Relevant park fees and entrance fees as specified in the quote
- Drinks as specified – drink inclusions may differ between camps/lodges
- Laundry can be done at most camps/lodges and hotels. In some cases this is included in the rate as quoted
- Air transfers as specified, including Departure Taxes
- Accommodation taxes, the applicable Tourism Levies and all relevant Value Added Tax (VAT) or Government Sales Tax (GST).
- Emergency evacuation services within East Africa
- 24 hour emergency contact
- International airfare
- Tips and gratuities
- Travel insurance (please note that travel insurance is mandatory for all Lightfoot Travel holidays)
- Meals not specified in the quote such as lunch and dinner in city hotels
- Any drinks, park fees, entrance fees, porterage, tours/excursions and transfers not specified in the quote
- Any scheduled commercial flights and related taxes
- Any new Government Taxes, levies, fuel or industry increases which are beyond our control
- Visa fees where relevant. Should a visa payment be required, this will need to be made in US Dollar cash
- Departure Taxes unless specified in the above
- Any items of a personal nature.